Travel Funding

Resources for Faculty - Travel Funding

There are a number of UVU sources for you to use that can help fund your travel to professional conferences or that may be related to your scholarly work; there are also some resources that faculty should be aware of to help fund student travel to present at professional conferences. For a quick overview, see our Table of Grants.  Some specific details are also included below.

The first place to seek for travel funding is from your department chair. Most departments have a travel fund available, although it may be limited. Departments have their own rules and guidelines about how these funds are distributed, but it is common that they may only fund one travel opportunity per year. Faculty should also keep in mind that some departments may have allocated funds to assist with student travel as well.  Similarly, faculty should also consider approaching their college or school for faculty or student travel assistance if necessary. 

Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) Supplementary Travel Grant

When possible, full-time faculty travel funds in departments may be supplemented with a Faculty Travel grant. Applications for Faculty Travel grants are reviewed and distributed by the Office of Teaching and Learning (OTL) with the input and recommendations of the Faculty Senate Faculty Development Committee. The purpose of this fund is to assist faculty with professional travel, particularly related to enhancing instructional effectiveness and Scholarship of Teaching and Engagement.

Please remember that these funds are considered supplemental; the amount of the grant depends on the nature of the travel (faculty mentoring of student presentations is prioritized as is travel related to improving teaching or the scholarship of teaching and learning) and is limited to a match with the professor’s support from other sources. For instance, if you have obtained support from your department and college for up to $700 of travel support, you could request only a maximum of $700 from the OEL supplemental grant. The amount you receive may be less than that, depending on the nature of the travel as noted before. Complete the online request form

It is wise to apply for these early in the fiscal year (July to June) because often the funds are depleted by spring.

Office of Engaged Learning

This office concentrates main sources of funding for UVU faculty and travel can be part of these awards. For applications and deadlines go to the Grants for Engaged Learning (GEL) site. In most cases, instructors act as mentors to students in projects related to the instructor’s project; however, students can pursue their own research but are required to have a faculty mentor. The office does not include external sources of support.

  • Grants for Engaged Learning (GEL)offers three types of grants. Seed grants, Quick grants and Phased grants.
  • Undergraduate Research offers different types of funding. For instance, NCUR and UCUR are two conferences to which students can apply for transportation, lodging and registration support. Faculty whose students are presenting at NCUR can ask for funding to attend this conference.
  • The D. Clark and Pam Turner Endowment for Engaged Learning in STEM Research Fellowships (TEELS) are designed to support student/faculty research in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) disciplines.
  • Undergraduate Research Scholarly and Creative Activities (URSCA) funds upper-division students who work with faculty mentors to conduct in-depth research or creative work related to their chosen field of study. Funds are available five times each year.
  • The Board of Trustees Engaged Learning Scholarship (BoTS) is an annual scholarship to be awarded based on a student’s engaged learning project and activities.
  • High Impact Engaged Learning Grants (HIELG)
  • The Presidential Fellowship for Faculty Scholarship (PFFS) is the only fund directed to faculty scholarship, however, the application requires a demonstration of some level of engaged learning.