Health care providers at Student Health Services would be happy to meet with you to
discuss your risk profile, and perform any cancer screenings based on your risk level.
Some tests and exams can be performed at SHS, others such as mammograms, colonoscopies,
and DEXA scans are referred out to local hospitals or clinics.
As a young person you should:
- Not smoke. If you do smoke and would like to quit, SHS can refer you to a smoking
- Establish a habit of exercise and maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat balanced meals, with plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- ALWAYS wear your seat belt.
- ALWAYS apply sunscreen, at least an SPF 30 or greater.
- Keep your immunizations up to date.
- Get yearly blood pressure checks (they are free at SHS - just stop in).
- Protect against STD's. If you are sexually active, use condoms.
- For females = perform monthly breast self exam, and yearly clinical Breast exams with
your pap smears.
- For males = perform monthly testicular self exam.
- If you consume alcohol, only in moderation.
- Get an eye exam and a dental exam once per year.