Plan Your Trip

  1. Obtain a Travel Authorization Form from your department’s administrative assistant. Travel Authorization Forms are not available digitally. If you are an administrative assistant, please click on the following link for ordering instructions
  2. A Travel Authorization Form must be completed and approved by an appropriate supervisor for all travel. It must be submitted to the Travel Office BA 013 (MS 109) before any travel arrangements are made or any reimbursements given.
    • If you need a travel advance, please check the box on the bottom of the Travel Authorization Form.  (See travel advance below) 
  3. Once your Travel Authorization Form has been received by the Travel Office, an email will be sent to you to determine your travel preferences. 

    • Prior to ticketing, we will need the following information:

      • Name as it appears on your government issued I.D.

      • Birth date

      • Gender 

  4. You will receive an email with your itinerary. Please review the itinerary for any discrepancies. Note, any changes must be made within twenty-four (24) hours or you will be subject to a two-hundred dollar ($200.00) airline penalty fee plus any difference in air fare.


The Basics

  • Travel Authorization Form must be completed and approved by an appropriate supervisor for all travel. It must be sent to the Travel Office (MS 109) before any travel arrangements are made or any travel advance or reimbursements given.
  • Conference registration forms should be completed and sent to Purchasing with the Banner requisition number listed on the form. The registration form and check will be mailed by Accounts Payable unless other arrangements are made. Please allow sufficient processing time to meet deadlines and "early-bird" discounts. A procurement card may also be used for conference registration.
  • Travel advances are available for up to 75% of the estimated out-of-pocket expenses with a minimum advance of $200. Please check the box on the travel authorization form to request an advance. Please allow enough time for processing. All advances are picked up in Finance and Business Services (BA109) by the traveler. The only items prepaid are airline tickets and conference registration fees. All other expenses will be paid by the traveler and reimbursed later.
  • Airline Tickets must be ordered through the Travel Office. Please give to the Travel Office (MS109),, ext. 8965, all pertinent information – times, dates, and discounts offered by the conference. UVU uses the State Travel Office to obtain state negotiated rates that can be purchased at any time and are fully refundable.
  • Out-of-state travel via private automobile is reimbursed at the mileage rate multiplied by the miles driven or the lowest available airfare (through the Travel Office) plus airport transportation and reasonable parking fees, whichever is less. No additional expenses are reimbursed for travel en route. The University will reimburse only those expenses incurred had the traveler used a commercial airline.
  • Rental cars, if considered necessary, are to be reserved through the Travel Office. UVU uses the State Travel Office to obtain car rentals. Contracted rates include unlimited miles, liability and collision insurance, and the loss damage waiver. There is no charge for underage drivers and an additional driver can be added at no extra charge. Rental cars are available for both in-state and out-of-state travel. If you choose to book your own rental car, UVU is not responsible to reimburse any damage and collision waiver expenses. The Travel Office will only make the reservation. It is the traveler’s responsibility to pay for the rental then later be reimbursed at the end of the trip.
  • Lodging arrangements are made by the traveler. No hotel deposits are paid by the University. Please use a travel advance as described above or a personal credit card to guarantee the room reservation. Travelers staying with friends or relatives are reimbursed $35 per night - please provide the name, address, and phone number of the person with whom the traveler stayed. An itemized lodging receipt is required for reimbursement - a credit card receipt is not sufficient documentation.
  • If a traveler has any questions or concerns please ask BEFORE the trip. This will avoid reimbursement problems after travel has been completed.