Students who attend UVU from another state will be required to pay non-resident tuition
rates. However, after twelve continuous months, it is possible for students to apply
for Utah residency for tuition purposes and significantly decrease the cost of attending
While the "Twelve Continuous Months Rule" is the most commonly used, there are other
ways to qualify for residency- "Green Sheet"
Regardless of how you may qualify, all students are required to obtain the following
items (at least 90 days before the start of the semester if you are using the twelve month
rule) if you wish to gain residency:
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have Permanent Resident Status
- Utah Driver License: If the student has a disability that prevents them from obtaining a driver license
they must obtain a Utah Identification Card.
- Utah Vehicle Registration: If the student does not own the vehicle they are driving,
they need to submit the vehicle registration to prove they are not listed on the registration.
- Utah Voter Registration: Only necessary for U.S. citizens.
- Complete the Online Residency Application through myUVU
For change of residency status, online applications must be submitted during the time
periods listed below. Required verification documentation can only be submitted after
the application has been completed and processed. No residency changes can be processed
after the third week of the semester.
- Fall Semester: March 15th - August 1st
- Spring Semester: October 1st - December 1st
- Summer Semester: All students regardless of residency classification are charged the resident tuition
rate during the Summer semester. Students who have not completed residency requirements
for subsequent semesters will be charged the non-resident tuition rate until requirements