CALL FOR PAPERS
-Submission deadline for next issue is forthcoming-
STEP 1: Complete the following form on this site: https://goo.gl/forms/OR3lF7JGJWayleH53 . Please be sure to click the "Submit" button when you are finished.
STEP 2: Email your essay in Microsoft Word format (.doc or .docx) to JOSL@uvu.edu Do not include your name on your actual essay attachment because we will be sharing it for blind review. Note: You will need to follow the email submission guidelines outlined below.
Some students wonder what they could/should write about. We have these suggestions as prompts that could be addressed: ethics in leadership, the need for diverse leaders, the importance of communication in successful leadership, how to maintain integrity in leadership, why people lead, what practices the best leaders implement, examples of excellent leaders and their contributions and a broad range of other topics that relate to leadership. There are many theories of leadership that could be incorporated into your paper which are easily accessed (and cited) through most any search engine.
The Journal of Student Leadership is a peer-reviewed interdisciplinary academic journal that addresses issues of student leadership in higher education. The journal’s goals are to:
1) contribute to the scholarship on leadership
2) promote student engagement by providing an experience in research, writing, and publishing, and
3) prepare students for graduate school or professional life, and to engage them in local, regional, or global communities.
We welcome papers and essays on leadership topics, but in particular we want to encourage student perspectives on leadership. We welcome submissions from students at all levels, including faculty and staff, and other members of the academic community.
- Your submission should be original work that has not been published previously. We invite you to submit relevant papers from your coursework, personal or academic study, or research. We do not accept material that is currently being considered by another journal.
- Manuscripts may be 1200-3000 words (about 5 to 12 pages in length or longer if approved by the editor). Articles should be written in 12-point type font with one-inch margins and double-spaced.
- Include an abstract of 100-200 words.
- Your submission should be in MS Word format (.doc,.docx) and submitted to our journal submission system. Questions about submissions? Email JOSL@uvu.edu.
- Do not include any personally identifying information on your submission document (e.g. first and last names, course names, professor names).
- It is recommended that submissions follow the Chicago Manual of Style, though we will accept papers written in other standard citation styles (e.g. APA, MLA, Turabian). You can access the CMS for free through UVU Wolverine Wi-Fi, or on this website: (UVU ID needed)
1) Do you only take submissions from students?
We take submissions from all who are interested. There are no prerequisites to those who want to submit. Student submissions preferred.
2) Do you only consider accepting submissions on formal student leadership positions (e.g. student government positions, clubs, etc.)?
Our definition of leadership is much broader. We welcome submissions by anyone interested in writing on leadership topics, but in particular we want to encourage student perspectives on leadership.
3) Is Artwork accepted?
Accepting art submissions of all mediums representing leadership, leaders, or similar themes by Wednesday, February 22nd. Submit files for review to JOSL@uvu.edu.
4) Who is the journal's projected audience?
- Top Professional (MBA, JD, MD, DDS) & Graduate Programs (Education, Business, Leadership, MA, PhD, and EdD programs)
- Those interested in learning more about contemporary research and perspectives on leadership
Want to learn what it takes to get published in a publication on campus?
The UVU Student Publications Fair is your answer! - All participating student publications will have tables to display flyers, place published issues, share digital displays or interfaces, and any other promotional materials each publication would like to provide visitors to the Fair. Come meet student editors, student staff members, student contributors, or faculty/staff advisors of student publications on campus!
Join us at the Kickoff Event for UVU's new Journal of Student Leadership, Thursday, September 22, 2016 from 5:00pm to 7:00 pm in CB 510.
5:00 p.m. - Keynote Speaker: Dr. Jacob Sybrowsky, Associate Dean of the Woodbury School of Business
5:45 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. - Open House, including writing/submission suggestions, & Refreshments
Questions? Contact the editors at: JOSL@uvu.edu
Benjamin Johnson, JSL Faculty Chairbenjamin.firstname.lastname@example.org