You are a Wolverine. You are a Dreamer. You are an important part of the UVU community and you are not alone.

Hundreds of Dreamers call UVU their academic home and we are so glad you are here! Whether you are just getting started or you have been here for a while, we hope this information will help point you in the direction of the resources and support you need while you are at UVU. We have and will continue to develop this website as a way to help you get connected to the resources and support services we have available for our students who are Dreamers.

Paying for college

Student smiling with a library book
Learn More

Applying for UVU admission

Student looking at large book at the library
Learn More

Resources for students

Student getting book from bookstore
Learn More


MSS Advisors meeting with student
Learn More

Resources for Staff

Staff member working with a student
Learn More

Paying for College

HB 144 Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request

Students not eligible for residency due to immigration status may qualify for an exemption from non-resident tuition under the HB 144 Waiver. In order to qualify for the HB 144 Waiver, students must have attended a Utah high school for at least three years and have earned a Utah high school diploma or a GED.

To learn how to apply for the HB 144 tuition waiver, please refer to the Admissions Website.

How do I pay for college if I do not qualify for the HB 144 Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request?

All students, regardless of residency status, pay Resident tuition and fees during the Summer Terms.

Tuition Payment Plan

All regularly enrolled students with enough qualifying charges (at least $125.00) are eligible for this payment plan, unless they have defaulted on a prior payment plan.

More Information about Tuition Payment Plans


UVU and other organizations offer private scholarships that may be awarded to undocumented students.

Am I eligible for federal student aid also known as FAFSA?

Undocumented students cannot receive federal student aid (like grants, work study, and federal student loans) unless you are an United States citizen or eligible noncitizen. In Utah, undocumented students cannot qualify for state grants or other forms of state-provided student aid.

However, there are other resources available for you to help pay for college. Utah’s Senate Bill 253 states that undocumented students can qualify for non-government student aid. This includes items like non-governmental grants, fellowships, and scholarships.

Personal Statement

Most scholarships require a personal statement. For resources on how to write a personal statement to apply for a scholarship, please visit:

Applying for UVU Admission

Can I apply for admissions to UVU?

Yes, admission to Utah Valley University is open to all regardless of residency or citizenship status.

Social Security Number

UVU asks for a Social Security number on the admission application but you do not need to provide a Social Security Number on the admission application. Under the personal information section, you will be asked about residence and citizenship.

The section includes the option, undocumented. Please select that option if you are undocumented even if you have DACA. This will ensure there is no delay or errors in your application.

Driver's License

Driver’s licenses are used by the university to help determine residency for tuition purposes. On the State of Legal Residency section of the admissions application, individuals with a Utah Driving Privilege card will select NO.

Undergraduate Students

Students seeking to study towards a one-year certificate, Associate (two-year degree) and/or Bachelor (four-year degree).

Concurrent Enrollment

UVU offers current Utah high school students the opportunity to earn college credits that may count towards college and high school graduation requirements through Concurrent Enrollment at $5 per college credit fee.

Concurrent Enrollment is a Utah Valley University - High School partnership program where qualified students can earn college credit. College classes are taught at the high school by UVU-approved high school instructors using college curriculum and assessment. The Concurrent Enrollment Office, UVU Academic Departments, and the partnering high schools work closely together to uphold the academic quality of each course.

Learn More about Concurrent Enrollment at UVU

Steps to be admitted to UVU

To be officially admitted to the University, an applicant must submit the following to the Office of Admissions:

  1. Complete the online Application for Admission:
    • Under the personal information section, you will be asked about residence and citizenship. The section includes the option, undocumented. Please select that option if you are undocumented even if you have DACA. This will ensure there is no delay or errors in your application.
    • Acceptance and resident status will be determined by the Office of Admissions.
  2. Pay the nonrefundable application fee:
    • Undergraduate admission application fee: $35
    • Returning/readmitting undergraduate: $15
    • International students (students who have an F1 student visa): $100

Admission Application Deadlines

Aug 1

Fall Semester

Dec 1

Spring Semester

Official Transcripts

All High School/College/University transcripts must arrive at UVU in an unopened envelope from the sending institution and must be printed within the last six months to be considered official.

High school transcripts can be considered official if they are emailed from the high school counselor to

Official ACT or SAT scores

ACT or SAT test scores are not required for admission to the university but may be a requirement for scholarship consideration. The ACT-R can be taken at Testing Services in the Wolverine Services Center.

Campus Allies

An Ally of undocumented students is a person who:

  • Acknowledges that undocumented students have a right to be enrolled in the university
  • Becomes informed about the rights afforded by law to DACA students
  • Believes that children and youth ought not to be targets of anti-immigrant discrimination; i.e., children should be left out of the immigration "wars"
  • Knows that because of negative attitudes toward illegal immigration and the lack of legal rights accorded to children and youth who are undocumented, that a person who has legal status has more power in initiating institutional support and can advocate against prejudice and discrimination
  • Listens openly, yet does not interrogate the student on their immigration status
  • Does not "out" the student to others, without the student's permission
  • Does not encourage students to act on matters that may compromise them when they have the opportunity to adjust their status
  • Creates a climate of trust that allows the student to reveal their situation at their own pace
  • Handles student's emotions with reserve, empathy, and support, and refers to appropriate professional campus staff as needed.
  • Follows up on referrals to assess the effectiveness of the referral
  • Is clear about his or her own personal motivation in becoming an Ally
  • Is committed to maintaining confidentiality and respecting the privacy of people who are undocumented.

The advisors in the UVU Multicultural Student Services office are available to assist with any admissions or any questions that you may have. To schedule an online academic advising appointment, please click on the “schedule an appointment” link located under each of the advisors’ photos.

See MSS Academic Advisors

Are there any majors or degrees not available to undocumented students?

Students may choose whatever major or degree they wish to study however certain career choices may require licensures and certifications that have state or national residency requirements.

  1. Some professions such as teaching, nursing, mortuary science, surgical tech, and social work have additional licensing requirements at the state or national levels.
  2. Majors that include a paid internship or field work (employment) as part of their curriculum typically require a Social Security number.
  3. Volunteer positions and unpaid externships may be an option with a passport, visa, birth certificate, or other type of government identification that is acceptable to obtain a background check.

Can I work on campus?

Students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), a renewable two-year deportation relief and employment authorization program for undocumented individuals who meet a series of extensive qualifying criteria, are eligible to work on campus.

If the DACA program is cancelled or revoked, will my status as an enrolled student protect me from deportation?

Enrolled student status does not necessarily provide protection from removal; however, a 2011 memo from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) designates college campuses as “sensitive locations,” meaning that college campuses would not be the focus of law enforcement actions (i.e. arrests, searches, interviews, and surveillance) unless: (a) exigent circumstances exist; (b) other law enforcement actions have led officers to campus; or (c) prior approval is obtained.

Resources for Students

There are a variety of legal resources for immigration issues. It’s common for legal service organizations to explore potential legal solutions free of charge. Feel free to contact organizations such as those listed below to help you determine whether they’re able to meet your needs.

Know Your Rights : Legislation Impacting Undocumented Students