Program Mission and Assessment
The Program in Integrated Studies serves students with interests and capabilities in more than one scholarly discipline. The degree trades disciplinary depth for breadth and for cross-disciplinary research and writing that culminate in a senior thesis. The Program encourages and supports interdisciplinary study across campus .
Special program characteristics:
- Students engage in Interdisciplinary work that culminates in a senior thesis.
- Students receive one-on-one feedback from multiple faculty advisors throughout their senior thesis process.
- Students completing the Integrated Studies degree have developed skills in thinking, problem solving, collaborative work, gathering and analyzing data, writing, and speaking, and have done so on the foundation of solid (but not exhaustive) disciplinary emphases.
- Faculty do campus-wide interdisciplinary work that includes team teaching across disciplines and collaborative projects.
- The campus and local community benefit from our lecture series and our interdisciplinary conferences, as well as from our student-published journal.