Crime doesn't pay:
TIPS FOR BEING SAFE ON CAMPUS AND IN YOUR COMMUNITY
Yes even in Utah crimes do occur and more often than you would think. Most crimes
tend to be crimes of opportunity which can be reduced with some simple steps.
- Apartment and homes- Most residential burglaries occur when a door is left unlocked
and unattended. Event short trips away from your residence give criminals ample
opportunity to enter your residence and take your valuables. Get into the habit of
even keeping your door locked even when you are home.
- Vehicles- Lock your vehicles and remove valuables. Most vehicle burglaries in this
area are also crimes of opportunity. Criminals are known to target vehicles even
with a small amount of loose change left in cup holders and center consoles. If you
must leave your valuables in the car place them in the trunk.
- Parties, dances, and events- Stay with people you know and trust. Don't leave drinks
unattended and always know what source your drink is coming from.
- On Campus- DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES and BOOKS UNATTENDED. Thefts frequently occur at
the university when bags, books, laptops, and other valuables are left unattended
even for short periods of time. When using restrooms do not leave valuables on the
- Report all crimes and suspicious activity immediately. Do not be one of those that
consults their friends, family, clergy, therapist, facebook, etc. before reporting
it to the police. Time is critical.