WHEN A FIRE ALARM SOUNDS...
- Leave the building immediately closing any doors behind you.
- Use stairways to exit. Never use an elevator as an emergency exit.
- As you evacuate the building:
- Please be aware of disabled individuals who are also trying to leave the building and offer whatever assistance you can.
- If you encounter individuals who are ignoring the fire alarm, request them to leave the building immediately.
- Once outside, move to you predetermined area away from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Do no re-enter the building until directed to do so by an authorized Public Safety, Facilities, or Administrative representative.
IF YOU SMELL SMOKE...
- Contact University Police at ext. 5555
- Provide as much information as possible.
- Secure the immediate area and wait for Emergency Personnel to arrive on scene.
IF YOU SEE SMOKE AND/ OR FIRE...
- Dial 911 from any phone and report the incident providing as much information as possible.
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull station.
- Assist with the evacuation of the building.
- If it is a small fire, you may attempt to extinguish the fire with a nearby fire extinguisher. If you attempt to fight the fire, plan and maintain a route of escape.