Out of State Information

First, review the section Plan Your Trip

Travel advances are available for up to 75% of the estimated out-of-pocket expenses with a minimum advance of $200. Please check the box on the travel authorization form to request an advance. Advances are processed two weeks prior to your departure date. All advances are picked up in Finance and Business Services (BA109) by the traveler. The only items prepaid are airline tickets and conference registration fees. All other expenses will be paid by the traveler and reimbursed later.

Conference registration forms should be completed and sent to Purchasing with the Banner requisition number listed on the form. The registration form and check will be mailed by Accounts Payable unless other arrangements are made. Please allow sufficient processing time to meet deadlines and "early-bird" discounts. A procurement card may also be used for conference registration.

Mileage is computed from the internet or mileage chart. If travel is to several points in one area, keep track of miles driven and list as AREA travel. Mileage is reimbursed at the allowable rate. Reimbursement rates are based on the State of Utah rates. The rates are $0.38 per mile when a state car is available for use but not taken, and $0.575 per mile when a state car is not available or appropriate for use.

Out-of-state travel via private automobile is reimbursed at the mileage rate multiplied by the miles driven or the lowest available airfare (through the Travel Office) plus airport transportation and reasonable parking fees, whichever is less. No additional expenses are reimbursed for travel en route. The University will reimburse only those expenses incurred had the traveler used a commercial airline.

Rental cars, if considered necessary, are to be reserved through the Travel Office. UVU uses the State Travel Office to obtain car rentals. Contracted rates include unlimited miles, liability and collision insurance, and the loss damage waiver. There is no charge for underage drivers and an additional driver can be added at no extra charge. Rental cars are available for both in-state and out-of-state travel. If you choose to book your own rental car, UVU is not responsible to reimburse any damage and collision waiver expenses. The Travel Office will only make the reservation. It is the traveler’s responsibility to pay for the rental then later be reimbursed at the end of the trip.

Parking is available at the airport and by various external vendors. Long-term parking can be utilized at the current rate of $9.00 per day. Short-term or parking provided by external vendors is not reimbursable for amounts greater than the current airport long-term parking rate.

Meal allowances are given based on the State of Utah rates as follows:

Meal Per Diem In-State Rate Out-Of-State Rate
Breakfast $10.00 $10.00
Lunch $13.00 $14.00
Dinner $16.00 $22.00
Total $39.00 $46.00

In order to receive a full day's allowance, the traveler must leave before 7 a.m. and return after 7 p.m. An overnight stay is required to receive any meal allowance. Meals included in or provided by conference registration fees will not be reimbursed. Alcoholic beverages are not reimbursable.

Premium Cities The traveler may choose to accept the per diem rate for out-of-state travel or to be reimbursed at the actual meal cost, with original receipts, up to $62 per day. The traveler will qualify for premium rates on the day travel begins and/or the day travel ends only if the trip is of sufficient duration to qualify for all meals on those days. The traveler may choose different reimbursement methods during the trip; however, he/she must use the same method of reimbursement for an entire day. Reimbursement is for the traveler only. If more than the traveler's meal is charged on a receipt, this must be deducted to reflect the traveler's costs only. Actual meal cost includes tax and tip. Alcoholic beverages are not reimbursable.

The premium cities are:

  • Dallas/Fort Worth
  • New York
  • Baltimore
  • San Diego
  • Boston
  • San Francisco
  • Chicago
  • Washington DC
  • Los Angeles


Receipts for hotel, taxi, limousine, rental car, registration fee, etc. are required to receive a reimbursement. Hotel and restaurant charges need to be itemized on the receipt. Hotel bills must show a zero balance due. If there is any question obtain and keep any receipt.