Students who attend UVU from another state will be required to pay non-resident tuition rates. However, after twelve continuous months, it is possible for students to apply for Utah residency for tuition purposes and significantly decrease the cost of attending UVU.

While the "Twelve Continuous Months Rule" is the most commonly used, there are other ways to qualify for residency- "Green Sheet"

Regardless of how you may qualify, all students are required to obtain the following items (at least 90 days before the start of the semester if you are using the twelve month rule) if you wish to gain residency:

  • Must be a U.S. citizen or have Permanent Resident Status
  • Utah Driver License: If the student has a disability that prevents them from obtaining a driver license they must obtain a Utah Identification Card.
  • Utah Vehicle Registration: If the student does not own the vehicle they are driving, they need to submit the vehicle registration to prove they are not listed on the registration.
  • Utah Voter Registration: Only necessary for U.S. citizens.
  • Online Residency Application: Complete the online Residency Application by logging into the UVLink Student Portal.


For change of residency status, online applications must be submitted before the deadlines listed below.  Required verification documentation can be submitted after the application has been completed and processed.

  • Fall Semester: July 15th
  • Spring Semester: December 1st
  • Summer Semester: May 1st

Additional Information