Frequently Asked Questions

What is a PDD?

A Program Development Document (PDD) is a form that must be filled out to receive program or administrative unit approval from an outside body such as USHE or NWCCU. It is formally known as an R401.

How do I know if I need a PDD?

All new or deleted programs and academic administrative units must have a PDD. Any program who is modifying their core 25%, changing their name, or changing their program learning outcomes or CIP code also need a PDD.

How do I know which PDD form to fill out?

The PDD will be directly in Courseleaf starting in April 2021. There are templates for administrative unit PDDs on the curriculum website.

Why do I need a department vote on my curriculum?

The department vote is part of the new curriculum process. It offers transparency and allows all full-time faculty members a chance to participate in or be made aware of any curriculuar changes, additions, or deletions. 

My course/program got rolled back for a dept vote. How do I do this?

Under the new curriculum process, all curriculum changes must have a department majority vote to go forward. This vote will consist of all full-time faculty in a department (or program if deemed appropriate by your department). The vote may be taken anyway the department decides (email, live, video, etc.). Once the vote is taken please submit proof of the vote in the attachement area of courseleaf and write the vote results in the justifcation. Beginning April 2021, the vote will be directly taken in Courseleaf.

I submitted my course/program but need to make an additional change. How can I edit now?

Go to the particular course/program in CourseLeaf. In the upper right corner, under “IN WORKFLOW” you can see where your item is in the workflow. Queues shown in green have already approved, the orange shows its current location, the ones in gray have not reviewed the item yet. These queue indicators are also links. You can click on the queue/link you need to send an email requesting a rollback, or in some cases, if the queue is managed by a faculty member, they may be willing to make the edit for you. You may also email the Curriculum Office with a rollback request.

How do I make changes that affect multiple programs?

Any change that affects multiple programs within your department must be submitted by a faculty member and all the changes must be reviewed together. If a course change affects a program(s) outside of your department you may request that the curriculum office facilitate the change by requesting the facilitation in the justification portion of the course modification. If UCC approves the facilitation request, the curriculum office will update all courses and programs outside your department once the course change is fully approved.

How do I get an exception?

Curriculum deadlines are firm. However, if your change/addition is required by an outside accrediting body or is required by local industry, you may be able to receive an exception. Please contact Evelyn Porter, the UCC Chair, to see if your course or program may warrant an exception.

What are the curriculum deadlines?

Curriculum deadlines will differ depending on the type of curriculum proposal. New programs, program modifications, and program deletions that require a PDD will need additional time for internal reviews as well as outside approvals and are due much earlier. The curriculum webpage has upcoming deadlines and the curriculum timeline process that you can review to know where you should be in the process. 

Once I submit a curriculum item, how can I check where it is in the workflow, and how will I know when it has been fully approved?

It is important to frequently check on the progress of your curriculum proposal. You can see where your item is by pulling up the particular item in CourseLeaf. In the upper right corner, under “IN WORKFLOW” you can see where your item is in the workflow. Queues shown in green have already approved, the orange shows its current location, the ones in gray have not reviewed the item yet. In addition, ALWAYS read your emails from CourseLeaf. If an item is rolled back, an automatic email is sent to the faculty member listed as the initiator. In this case, you will need to make necessary edits and resubmit. Once your item has been fully approved and processed, you will receive an automatic email notifying you of this. It is the responsibility of the faculty member that submits to monitor the proposals.

What is University Advanced Standing (UAS) and does my course need it?

Before students can register for upper-division coursework (3000 or higher), they must qualify for University Advanced Standing (UAS) by:  Completing, and/or transferring in, at least 24 credits of college-level coursework (1000 or higher); Having a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher; Complete Quantitative Literacy, (MAT 1030 or higher) and ENGL 2010 or equivalent. All courses 3000 or higher must have UAS as a pre-requisite.

How does it affect students if junior or senior status is added as a prerequisite?

Using “senior status” or “junior status” as a prereq has one major drawback. A student’s status does not change until courses have been completed (and grades have been issued). That means that if a student is currently in their junior year right now, they can begin to register for fall courses as soon as registration opens in the first of April. However, if they want a course that requires senior status, they will not be able to register for that course until May, after grades come out. This likely means that advisors will have extra work giving overrides to students that ask for it, and students that do not ask will have a delayed registration. So, only select junior or senior status if it is imperative, and it will not adversely affect your students.