The following is a list of Frequently Asked Questions that we feel will help all students in their aviation education. If your question has not been addressed here, please feel free to give us a call at 801-863-7830.

Getting Started

What are UVU's admissions requirements?

UVU is an open-admission university, meaning no student is denied admission. The University does, however, have enrollment standards. In order to help students enroll in courses that match their academic preparation and ability, admission to the University requires that every student submit ACT/SAT scores; an official high school transcript; and a $35 application fee. Keep in mind that additional requirements exist for students interested in flight training.

Apply Now

Where do I go to apply for admission to UVU?

 To apply for admission, go to the Become a Studentpage and follow the steps on that checklist.  

How much does the program cost?

This varies, depending on the previous college experience or training you have, and which degree program you select. Tuition prices are the same for all degrees, but if you select the Professional Pilot degree emphasis, your costs will include both tuition and flight training expenses.

Tuition and Fees

Can I fly at any flight school while attending UVU online?

Yes, our program will work with any flight school or FAA certified flight instructor. We have no agreement or affiliation with any flight schools, but we have online students at dozens of flight schools throughout the country. It is your responsibility to find the best flight school that meets your needs. Keep in mind that helicopter or other non-fixed wing students are limited to the Aviation Management or Aerospace Technology Management Degrees.

Online Program

How does financial aid help with flight costs?

All UVU students, including those online, can apply for Federal Financial Aid to help with tuition, books, and other expenses. For students flying at UVU's training facility in Provo, UT, flight training costs are included in this allotment. All students can apply for a UVU certified alternative loan for up to the student's UVU cost of attendance. Students flying at the UVU flight school have their flight costs included in the cost of attendance. For additional questions you can contact the UVU Financial Aid office at (801)863-8442 or email them at [email protected].

Financial Aid & Scholarships

I am having difficulty contacting my online instructor, how can I get a hold of him/her?

The best way to reach your online instructor is to use the contact system within Canvas. Please allow one  business day to receive a response. If you do not receive a response from your instructor by the end of the next business day, please contact the Student Support Center at 801-863-7830 and they can alert the instructor.

Will my college credits or previously earned FAA certificates transfer?

Visit the UVU Transfer Articulation Database, and search for your previous college. This will show you what courses should transfer over. Keep in mind that this database is constantly updated. If you previous college or university is not listed, it does not mean that UVU does not or will not accept credit from that institution. To find out for certain, you will need to have your official transcripts sent to the UVU Admissions Office. Previously earned FAA certificates required by our curriculum will be awarded transfer credit.

Transfer FAA Certificates

How do I submit my transcripts from a previous school?

To transfer credits or degrees from a previously attended college or university, please contact the Records Office of your previous school and request that your official transcript be sent to:

Utah Valley University
Admissions Office MC-106
800 West University Parkway
Orem, UT 84058-5999


Can I do helicopter training with any of your degrees?

FAA helicopter certificates and ratings are accepted in our Associate of Applied Science degree only. We do not offer helicopter training at UVU. Helicopter certificates and ratings would need to be completed at another flight school and transferred in.

How long does the program take?

This depends on what your goals are and any previous college or experience you have. Each of our Bachelor Degree programs consist of a 4-year curriculum, but transfer credits, previous flight training, Summer attendance, and other factors can reduce that time frame. Since the Professional Pilot degree requires flight training, there are variables such as weather, maintenance, funding, etc. which can possibly create delays in the completion of the degree. Student motivation is another factor. Those who study diligently and prepare for each flight lesson have been shown to complete flight requirements in less time and with less expense.

What kind of airplanes do we use in our fleet?

Our aircraft is based at the Provo, UT Municipal Airport. The fleet of 25 aircraft includes the DA-40 XLT and the Piper PA-44 Seminole. We also have state-of-the-art facilities which house classrooms, an FAA Part 145 Maintenance Station, and a number of approved flight simulation devices.

Fleet & Facilities

Online students who live outside of the area and a can select any flight school that is most convenient to their location.