FAA flight training is required for students pursuing the Bachelor of Science - Professional Pilot degree and either of our associate degrees. Students must complete training either at the UVU facility at the Provo Airport, or for online students, at a flight school of their choosing. 

In addition to the standard UVU admission requirements, students should expect to complete additional steps to qualify and prepare for flight training. Online students will need to abide by any requirements of their chosen flight school. International students must meet additional requirements explained below.


Flight training - aircraft tail with wolverine logo

UVU Flight Training Qualifications

  • Students must complete a department flight application and be selected in order to begin flight training at UVU.
  • Eligible UVU flight applicant minimum requirements:
    • Enrolled in UVU courses
    • 3.0 GPA minimum
    • Completion of English 1010 and Math1030 or higher
    • 1st or 2nd class medical certificate from an FAA medical examiner.
  • Due to demand, entrance past Private Pilot (Instrument) is limited. Please review the information in the section below and speak with an aviation advisor.
  • The UVU flight training program is rigorous, time-intensive, and requires full commitment each semester.
  • Please speak to a local advisor about available start dates.

apply for flight training

CFI Training

While not required as part of the UVU degree curriculum, Certified Flight Instructor training is available and can be used as electives toward your degree (consult with your advisor). Due to limited capacity, a separate application is required to take the CFI courses. Scoring and ranking of applicants will allow those with the highest scores to be approved to register. To apply, contact Jessica Salcedo at JSalcedo@uvu.edu


CE Students & those with previous training

Students who have completed a flight certificate or rating, outside of UVU, will receive transfer credit for the UVU ground and flight class upon record-verification.

Part 61 Concurrent Enrollment High Schools

CE Students will receive a grade from their high school faculty for college credit in AVSC 1100, Private Pilot Ground. (C- or higher)

Note: CE students are required to complete a semester at a college before they are eligible to apply for flight training at UVU. Depending when students complete CE AVSC 1100 will determine whether they will be required to retake AVSC 1100 at UVU.

Evaluation of CE student knowledge will be administered by the Chief Flight Instructor or a designated Assistant Chief Instructor prior to commencing flight training at UVU.

AVSC 1110 will be conducted per Part 141 standards. Additional ground training may be required as defined by those Part 141 standards.

Students with an FAA Private Pilot Certificate must apply for instrument flight training. Entry into the UVU flight training program is not guaranteed and is dependent on availability of training slots in the UVU Instrument training class.

UVU does not accept students who have completed flight training past the Instrument Rating. We do not accept students into commercial or multi-engine training.


Non-native English Speakers

English is the international language of aviation. Safety demands that all pilots be able to communicate clearly and concisely in English. For this reason, the following requirements apply:

  • All students for whom English is not their first language will be required to pass the listening and speaking sections of the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT). Students are responsible for the cost of this test.
  • A score of at least 22 on the listening section and at least 25 on the speaking section must be achieved before enrolling in the School of Aviation Sciences and taking any aviation ground classes.
  • The test must have been taken within six months prior to enrollment.
  • If unable to attain this score, UVU’s Aviation English course is recommended but does not guarantee acceptance into the program. The office of English Language Learning can provide more information about English language skills course offerings.
  • UVU’s English Language Learning office also offers a TOEFL Preparation course. More information about the TOEFL .
  • Prior to beginning flight training, a more rigorous English language skills evaluation will be conducted. This will involve testing for which there may also be a fee.

For additional questions, contact Dan Sutliff

R-ATP Approved

A ruling by Congress which went into effect in 2013 requires all airline pilots to have an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) certificate. The R-ATP (Restricted Airline Transport Pilot) allows an airline to hire a pilot with fewer hours of flight time. Students flying at the UVU training facility can benefit from this provision. You may view the official ruling FAR 61.159 and 61.160 on the FAA website.

What is the benefit of earning the R-ATP?

Not all flight programs can qualify you for the R-ATP. If you graduate from UVU's FAA-approved degree program and meet certain requirements, you will be eligible to receive your R-ATP at 1,000 or 1,250 hours rather than the usual 1,500 hours for an ATP certificate. This will make you eligible for hiring by Part 121 carriers (scheduled airlines) between 250 and 500 hours sooner than students at other non-qualifying programs.

What steps do I need to take to earn the R-ATP?

  • Graduate with a B.S. degree in Professional Pilot at UVU
  • Complete Instrument flight and ground training under Part 141 at UVU
  • Complete Commercial flight and ground training under Part 141 at UVU
  • Complete the ATP-CTP course
  • Complete the ATP Knowledge Exam at an authorized testing center
  • Complete coursework from the FAA-approved course list
  • If you have completed the prescribed 60 credit hours in your degree, build your flight time to 1,000 hours with 200 cross-country hours.
  • If you have completed between 30 and 60 of the prescribed credit hours, build your flight time to 1,250 hours with 200 cross-country hours.
  • Complete the FAA ATP Practical Exam

Will I need an R-ATP before I can get hired by an airline?

It is possible to get hired prior to having the actual R-ATP certificate, however in the United States, most airlines will require you to have at least the minimum flight time required for the R-ATP. Prior to flying however, you will need the actual certificate.

Is UVU approved to qualify students for an R-ATP?

Yes, UVU first received the official Letter of Authorization from the FAA in June 2014.

How much flight time is required for an R-ATP?

If you graduate with the Bachelor of Science degree from UVU's Aviation Science Program with at least 60 credit hours from our FAA approved course list, you will need a minimum of 1000 hours total time to meet the requirements of FAR 61.160. In addition, you would need 200 hours of cross-country time, 100 hours of night time, and 50 hours of flight time in the class of aircraft in which you are seeking your R-ATP (in most cases, multi-engine time). If you graduate with the Associate of Applied Science degree with 30-60 credit hours from our FAA approved course list, you will need a minimum of 1,250 hours total time with the same additional requirements listed above. Please reference FAR 61.160(b), (f), and 61.159(a).

What if I "tested out" of a course and received credit, even though I never actually attended the UVU course?

  • If the course appears on your official transcript as "Institution Credit" (not "Transfer Credit") then it is eligible to count towards the required 30 or 60 credit hours, provided it is a course on the approved list.
  • Challenge or experiential credits do not qualify toward the 30 or 60 credit hour requirement.
  • For information on what transfer credits qualify, see "What if I transferred to UVU from another university?" below.

What if I don't have 60 credit hours from the approved list?

 If you graduate from an approved major and you complete 60 credits from the approved course list, then you are eligible for the R-ATP at 1,000 hours. If you have completed between 30-59 credits, then you will need at least 1,250 hours total flight time as a pilot.

What if I transferred to UVU from another university?

  • Assuming that the courses are transferable to your UVU degree program, credits transferred to UVU may qualify toward the 30 or 60 credit requirement only if 1) the courses were completed at another institution of higher learning that has received authorization from FAA to certify its graduates for R-ATP and UVU obtains a copy of that institution's Letter of Authorization, 2) the course is on that institution's approved course list, and 3) the student includes official transcripts from that institution on their application for UVU R-ATP Graduate Certification.
  • In order for Instrument or Commercial flight training to be transferred, it must have been completed at an institution of higher learning that has received authorization from the FAA to certify its graduates for R-ATP. To apply that training to a UVU graduate certification, UVU must have an official copy of your 141 instrument and/or 141 commercial graduation certificates.

What is the difference between the R-ATP and an ATP with full privileges?

The R-ATP authorizes you to act as second-in-command only. It does not authorize you to act as PIC (Pilot in Command) at a U.S. Part 121 air carrier (scheduled airline), but the knowledge and skill requirements are the same for both. An ATP with full privileges can be obtained once you have met the specified age and flight time requirements.