Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your interest in Utah Valley University! This page is here to answer your questions. If you are still unable to find the answer you are seeking, please reach out to us:

Contact Us


How do I complete an application?

Utah Valley University is an open-admissions institution. UVU does not require a minimum GPA or ACT/SAT score for admissions, nor are there any course requirements. All students who submit the necessary documents for admission are accepted into the University. The application and documentation guidelines can be found on our website.

There are different application processes for different types of students. Find more information about your situation below:

Can I change what semester I start taking classes?

Yes. You can defer your start date and begin at UVU in a later semester. Learn more on the Deferment page. For information about deferring scholarships or financial aid, please visit the Financial Aid website and look for the Defer Scholarship Awards form. If you would like to begin at UVU a semester earlier than the semester listed on your original application, a one-time exception may be granted. This cannot be done until the student is admitted for the semester on the application. Once you have received an acceptance email for your application, please submit a ticket so we can adjust your semester start date.

Where can I find information about dates and deadlines for applications, financial aid & scholarships, and semester start dates?

UVU’s academic calendar includes all dates and deadlines and can be found on the Schedule website.

Transfer Students

How do I transfer credits to UVU?

If you have questions about which credits will transfer or how to submit your transcripts for processing, contact Transfer Credit at 801-863-8216 or . You can also see how your previous institution’s courses will transfer here.

Do I need to apply for admissions differently if I am coming from another institution?

The application process for transfer students is the same as any other undergraduate student. However, you may need to submit your college transcripts as part of the application. Learn more on the Transfer Admissions page.

Graduate Students

Why can’t I find my desired program?

f you don't see your program listed, double check the entry term. Most graduate programs only accept students for specific semesters. Additionally, check the program's website to see if their application is currently open. Do not submit the application if the program or entry term are incorrect.

Individual program websites can be found here: UVU Graduate Studies

How much is the application fee?

The application fee is $50 for both Domestic and International graduate applicants.

What are the required supplemental items?

The minimum graduate requirements can be found here: Graduate Student Admissions

Each graduate program may have additional requirements. Please check the website of your program of interest for additional information.

Individual program websites can be found here: UVU Graduate Studies

When are supplemental items attached to my application?

Once you fill out the initial application and pay the application fee, your required supplemental items will be attached. You may need to refresh the page or log back into your application account.

How do I know if my application is complete?

Once your application has been marked complete, you will receive an email. You can also see any missing supplemental items by logging back into your application account.

Will unofficial transcripts be accepted?

No. We require official transcripts sent directly from the college/university.

Transcripts can either be mailed directly or sent directly using a secure transcript exchange company, such as Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse.

What is the cost of graduate tuition at UVU?

Please refer to current Graduate Tuition tables here: UVU Graduate Tuition

Which programs accept international students?

Currently, the following programs accept international students: Master of Business Administration, Master of Accountancy, Master of Social Work, Master of Education: Teacher Leadership

Will international transcripts be accepted?

International transcripts must be evaluated by an approved foreign credential evaluating company. UVU's preferred evaluating company is SpanTran.

If you have already had your international transcript evaluated by a foreign credential company, please reference the list of approved companies found at UVU Transfer Students to see if we can accept them.

International Students

How do I apply as an international student?

Fill out the application completely (must be 18 years or older to apply) and pay the $115 application fee. Please visit the International Admissions page for more information.

What is required for the affidavit of support?

The Affidavit of Support form is to be completed by the person who will be providing money for tuition, fees and living expenses, with an original bank statement or tax return attached. All financial support papers must be in English and show amounts in U.S. Dollars.

Please note: If you are sponsoring yourself you will need to provide a letter from your bank showing the needed amount on deposit under your name.

What English proficiency tests are accepted for admissions at UVU, and what score do I need to get?

You must submit either an official TOEFL test score (66 or better, IBT), IELTS- 6.0 or better, or Duolingo of 100 or better). Test scores must be less than one year old. If you meet English proficiency requirements, you must take an entrance exam prior to registering for classes. This exam will determine your first semester classes.

Can I transfer from another institution in the US if I am an international student?

Yes! If you transfer from another institution in the United States, your previous school must complete the Transfer certification form. Put your name on the top of the document and give the form to the previous school. The previous school will complete the form and send it directly to Utah Valley University along with an official copy of your transcript from their institution.

What is my International Application status?

Please log back into your application to view your application status. Generally, international applications are reviewed in the order in which they were received.

After submitting all required documentation, paying the application fee, and submitting the application please allow 3-4 weeks for your documents to be processed and returned to you in time for you to obtain your visa and make the necessary travel arrangements.

How long should I expect for me to hear back after I apply?

Please allow 3-4 weeks for documents to be reviewed, processed, and returned to you in time for your current school to transfer your SEVIS record (I-20) to UVU before class begins. You will be required to attend a mandatory orientation for all new UVU students.

When will I get my I-20?

You will need to contact the international coordinator for updates on your application review and I-20 issue status. Please keep in mind, applications are reviewed in the order they are received. The estimated application review is 4 weeks.

Can I do a change-of-status at UVU?

UVU does not do “change of status” procedures. You can apply to be a student and receive a new I-20. If you have a current I-20 you can apply to transfer the I-20 to UVU.

If you are on another visa type and wish to change to an F-1 visa, UVU does not accommodate that request.

Does UVU offer scholarships for international students?

Absolutely! There are 3 listed academic scholarships, the International Student Council Scholarship, and the International Employment Program. Visit International Student Services to learn more. United States F-1 Student Immigration Regulations require financial documentation for each international student showing that they can support themselves financially. Any scholarships that UVU offers international students should be viewed as a supplement, not a replacement of the students own financial requirements imposed by the U.S. Government.

Unique Student Types

Can I apply to UVU if I’m under 18 years old?

Students who wish to be considered for admission must have graduated from high school; and/or received an equivalent of a high school diploma; and/or are beyond compulsory high school age. New freshmen under the age of 17 and who have not graduated high school seeking admission must apply for exception through the Admissions Office.

The student must submit all required documents for admission and demonstrate through assessment testing the ability to succeed. After meeting with the student and at least one parent or guardian in person, the Director or Associate Director of Admissions will make the final determination for admittance. Students are required to be in the non-degree seeking status High School Concurrent Enrollment (HSCE) until they graduate from high school, receive a GED or are beyond compulsory high school age. Students are required to take ACT/ACT-R or SAT testing and at a minimum must qualify to enter English and Math at a college level (1010 or above). Students that do not meet testing minimums, are under the age of 15, or are otherwise found to not be college ready will not be granted an exception to policy

Can I apply to UVU if I’ve been homeschooled?

Homeschool students must submit a notarized transcript and notarized affidavit of completion of homeschool. You can learn more by visiting the Homeschool admissions page.

What is an “adult learner?”

Adult Learners are generally 25 years of age and older with intersecting factors that shape their experience, including, but not limited to:

  • Delayed enrollment into postsecondary education
  • Part-time enrollment
  • Financial independence
  • Full-time employment as a student
  • Status as a parent or guardian of dependents
  • Military connection
  • Students without a traditional form of a high school diploma

Learn more on the Adult Learners admissions page

Is UVU a good place for adult learners like me?

Almost one third of UVU students are considered adult learners, so there are many other Wolverines in your same situation. Whether you are going back to finish your degree or starting college for the first time, UVU is here to help you every step of the way.

UVU offers adult learners coordinated support from admissions to graduation and everything in between. Learn more on the Adult Learners admissions page

What extra support is available to me as an adult learner?

UVU has an entire department dedicated to helping Adult Learners be successful during their time as a student. You can learn more by visiting Adult Learner Support Services.

Can I attend college if I am undocumented?

Absolutely! There is a place for you at Utah Valley University. Undocumented students bring valuable perspectives and lived experiences that enhance the learning environment for every student. We recognize that there are barriers and challenges that may impact your ability to go to college. As an institution committed to exceptional care, we seek to create space and opportunities for undocumented students to fully participate in the college experience.

What do I need to do to apply to UVU if I am undocumented?

For the most part, you will apply just like everyone else with a few small differences. You can learn more by visiting the Undocumented Student Resources page.

Does UVU offer learning opportunities for senior citizens?

Yes. Utah residents over the age of 62 can take low-cost courses at UVU. Participants pay only $20 per semester plus any specific class fees. Learn more on the Senior Citizen admissions page.


What do I need to apply for Utah residency?

Every student applying for residency is required to submit a set of core documents and any additional documents based on the category you plan to apply for. Visit our Residency page to learn more.

My out-of-state parents claimed me as a dependent on their taxes. Is there any way that I can still become a resident?

We are unable to grant residency to any dependent who was claimed by parents or guardians outside of Utah. However, our office does work with amended tax returns.

What circumstances allow for Utah residency to be granted?

There are many ways to gain residency. To learn more about the ways to gain residency, please visit our Residency page.

My family owns property and pays taxes in Utah. Would I be a resident?

Your principal residency must be in the state of Utah, regardless of whether you own property or pay taxes in the state.

If I receive the WUE Scholarship, can I still obtain residency?

Any credits or time spent in Utah will disqualify you from reclassification as a resident if you have received the WUE waiver for the previous twelve months. Exceptions include:

  • Marrying a Utah resident
  • Parents moving
  • Establishing a Utah domicile
  • Being recruited or transferred to Utah for full-time permanent employment

I missed the residency application deadline. Is it too late for me to apply?

We accept late applications after the first priority date and will process on a first come, first serve basis. Once the residency application closes, residency cannot be granted. Incomplete applications are removed after the census deadline. Reapplying is required for the next semester.


How do I complete an application?

The graduate offerings in the UVU School of Education include programs that will help teachers with the Utah State Board of Education (USBE) required coursework needed to apply for endorsements to their existing Utah Teaching License. The endorsement programs are offered in partnership with school districts across Utah.

For more information about the program, please visit the School of Education Endorsements page.

Learn more about applying for admission into an endorsement program on our Endorsements admissions page.

Still have questions?

UVU admissions office


800 West University Pkwy, Orem, UT 84058