J-1 Instructions to Exchange Visitors 

Please read the following instructions very carefully!

  1. Before you leave your country: You must obtain a visa before entering the United States. You must apply for the visa at the United States Consulate or Embassy that has jurisdiction over your place of residence. The consular office may require the following:
    1. You must have a valid passport and a properly executed Form DS-2019 from UVU
    2. Documents to establish that you are a bonafide nonimmigrant Exchange Visitor.
    3. Evidence that you have adequate financial support for your entire stay in the U.S.
    4. Evidence that you have a residence in your home country, which you have no intention of abandoning.
    5. You must have a Form I-901 receipt.
      1. The consular office may require other documents or evidence to ensure that you meet all the requirements of an Exchange Visitor. Please cooperate fully with these requests.
      2. If the consular officer approves your application for a “J-1” visa, he/she will stamp the visa on the appropriate page of your passport and note the period of validity of the visa and the number of entries for which is valid. The officer will also note on the Form DS-2019 whether or not you are subject to the “two-year home residence requirement.” He/she will then return the copies of the Form DS-2019 to you.
  2. Upon arrival at the United States Port of Entry: Before you will be admitted to the United States, your documents must be examined by an immigration inspector. You will be required to:
    1. Present your passport, visa, and the Form DS-2019 to the immigration inspector.
    2. If you are admissible to the United States, the immigration inspector will return to you the Form DS-2019.
    3. You have by this process been “examined” and are lawfully admitt4ed to the United states for the period indicated on the Form I-94 (electric form).
  3. Health Insurance Requirements: Exchange visitors are required, as a condition of their J-1 status in the United States, to carry health insurance for themselves and their accompanying family members. By government regulation, minimum coverage must provide:
    1. Up to $100,000 per accident or illness;
    2. Up to $25,000 for repatriation of remains;
    3. Up to $50,000 for medical evacuation to the home country;
    4. A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness;
    5. Co-insurance not to exceed 25% payable by the exchange visitor or sponsor.
    6. Coverage that may not exclude risks inherent in the activities of your exchange visitor program;
    7. A reasonable waiting period for pre-existing conditions. 
    8. The company providing the insurance must have an A.M. best rating of “A-“ or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-“ or above, a Standard & Poor’s Claim-paying ability rating of “A-“ or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above. 
    9. “an exchange visitor who will fully fails to maintain the insurance coverage set forth above while a participant in an exchange visitor program or who makes a material misrepresentation to the sponsor concerning such coverage shall be deemed to be in violation of these regulations and shall subject to termination as a participant.”-22 CFR 514.14-(b)
  4. Upon Arrival at Utah Valley University: Visit with the Global Adminsitration Officer (Diana Briceno) in LA 210D. Please bring your passport and Form DS -2019