Frequently Asked Questions

Accessibility Services (AS) seeks to make UVU as accessible and equitable as possible for all students. There’s a lot to know about eligible conditions, requesting accommodations, and other accessibility processes. The information here will help you get started with AS.

What are Qualifying Disabilities?

ADA accommodations may help when a disability creates obstacles that make it difficult to access an education or resources on campus. This list is not inclusive; please contact our office with questions about any other disabling conditions or limitations.

  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
  • Blind and Low Vision
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  • Physical Disabilities
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Psychiatric Disabilities (depression, anxiety, PTSD, bipolar, etc .)
  • Chronic Medical Conditions (diabetes, migraines, long COVID, etc.)

Accommodations may also help with temporary conditions that last longer than a few weeks (concussion, broken arm, pregnancy, etc.).

More Frequently Asked Questions

Do I qualify for accommodations through Accessibility Services?

Accessibility Services (AS) accommodates students when their disability is a barrier to learning or accessing the university environment. Since accommodations are determined individually for each student, the best way to learn what accommodations are right for you is to talk with an accessibility counselor. Please contact our office at 801-863-8747 to learn more about the application process or to schedule an Information Meeting with an Accessibility Counselor.

Do I need an official diagnosis to qualify for accommodations?

Evidence of a disability is part of the application process. An official diagnosis or formal documentation, such as an IEP or 504 plan, a psychological evaluation, a letter from your medical provider, or the UVU Disability Documentation form, can provide evidence of a disability. Please review our Documentation Guidelines for more information about specific types of documentation. Apparent or visible disabilities do not require documentation, although, additional information about how your disability impacts you may be helpful in determining accommodations.

Can I still apply for accommodations if I only need them temporarily?

Yes. Accessibility Services  (AS) can assist you with accommodations for short-term conditions, such as pregnancy, broken limbs, and concussions.

Can I request an accommodation if I’m visiting UVU for an event or activity?

Yes. Visitors wishing to request an accommodation can call our office at 801-863-8747.

What counts as a reasonable accommodation?


Accessibility Services (AS) strives to ensure access for students with disabilities by establishing and implementing accommodations. However, there are some items that are not considered accommodations in higher education. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Individualized instruction
  • Tutoring
  • Personal care attendant provided by institution
  • Supplying personal aids and assistive devices (i.e. wheelchairs, hearing aids, etc.)
  • Transportation to/from/around campus

If you require or would benefit from these items or services, please visit our Resources page to find more information from the appropriate department. To learn more, review UVU’s policies on accommodations for individuals with disabilities.

Do I need a parking permit to utilize accessible parking stalls?

Yes. When you purchase your parking permit, please submit a state-issued accessible parking placard to UVU Parking Services. All students who plan to park in UVU campus lots are required to purchase a student parking permit.

Can I bring my service dog to campus?

Yes. Trained service animals that perform functions or tasks that the individual with a disability cannot are welcome on campus under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Note that emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals are not considered service animals. Learn more about our service animal policy on our Resources page.

Can I transfer my previous Individual Education Plan (IEP) or 504 plan to UVU?

Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and 504 plans can be used as evidence of a disability. However, the plan itself does not transfer to the university level. To receive accommodations, you must complete the application process, including an online application, submitting documentation such as an IEP, and meeting with an accessibility counselor. Once accommodations are approved, you are responsible for renewing accommodations each semester.

What's the difference between receiving accommodations in high school and in college?

The main difference is your role as a student is key; in college, you make the decisions about using accommodations. Also, the school's role in providing accommodations changes from high school to college. At the high school level, the school is responsible for identifying students who need accommodations or services. However, in higher education, students are responsible for identifying themselves to Accessibility Services (AS) and requesting accommodations.

How can I apply for accommodations?

First, fill out the New Student Application on Clockwork. You may upload your documentation directly to the online application, but documentation may also be submitted over email, fax, or in person. After that, schedule an initial meeting with an accessibility counselor to determine reasonable accommodations. View our in-depth guide to applying for accommodations for more information.

What documentation do I need to provide to Accessibility Services?

All documentation should include a disability diagnosis, the impact and/or symptoms of the disability, and may also include recommended accommodations or history of past accommodations. For medical disabilities, ask your doctor to fill out the Disability Documentation form. A letter written by a licensed professional may be provided for other conditions. Past documentation, such as an IEP or 504 plan, may also be included.

For our full list of guidelines, please review our Documentation Guidelines.

Where can I get documentation of my disability to provide my Accessibility Services counselor?

Ask your medical provider, doctor, or other licensed professional to fill out the Disability Documentation form. If you are requesting accommodations for a non-medical disability, they should write a letter detailing your diagnosis, symptoms or impact of your disability, recommended accommodations, and any other relevant information.

For help finding a provider or diagnosis, visit our Resources page.

What will my first appointment look like?

At your initial meeting, you and your accessibility counselor will discuss the nature of your disability, how it impacts your academic and student experience at UVU, and what accommodations may help you succeed. Accessibility Services (AS) may need to consult faculty to ensure that the accommodations won’t fundamentally alter the course curriculum or academic standards.

In some cases, accommodations may not be determined during your initial appointment. If you and your accessibility counselor do not decide on your accommodations, you will be informed of the next steps that need to be taken. This may include submitting further documentation.

What are my next steps once my requested accommodations have been approved?

Once your accommodations are approved, you will need to submit an accommodation request on Clockwork each semester. Accommodations are not retroactive, so it’s important to renew accommodations at the beginning of every semester you need to utilize them. Learn more on our Renew Accommodations page.

What happens if my accommodations are not approved? Can I ask Accessibility Services to reconsider their decision?

If you request an accommodation that is not approved, disagree with your accessibility counselor’s decision, or encounter any other problems during the application process, you can do two things. Contact the Director of Accessibility Services to discuss the decision further, or submit an appeal and request reconsideration through the Grievance Process.

Do I need to meet with my instructor to discuss accommodations?

When you renew accommodations at the beginning of the semester, a Letter of Accommodation (LOA) is sent to each of your instructors. After renewing accommodations, students are expected to confirm that instructors received the LOA and discuss how to best implement accommodations in each class.

Do I have to disclose my disability to my instructor?

You do not have to disclose your disability to your instructors. You have a right to confidentiality, and the information you provide to Accessibility Services (AS) is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Policy Act (FERPA). Faculty are not permitted to require you to disclose your disability or ask you for further details. AS will only provide your instructor with a Letter of Accommodation (LOA) that details your approved accommodations.

Do I need to renew my accommodations each semester?

Yes. You will need to log into Clockwork at the beginning of each semester you wish to utilize your accommodations. Learn more on our Renew Accommodations page.

Will Accessibility Services keep my information private?

All information and documentation you submit to Accessibility Services (AS) is considered private under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). These records are kept separate from your academic record

Under FERPA guidelines, AS cannot guarantee complete confidentiality, as there may be times when sharing some information with other UVU staff and faculty members is necessary to provide accommodations. Note that the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) confidentiality and privacy guidelines do not apply to the documents you submit to AS because they are not being used for medical treatment.

Can my parent, spouse, or other caregiver speak to Accessibility Services directly about my accommodations?

AS will only discuss your accommodations with individuals you have approved by submitting a Release of Information form. Accessibility Services (AS) will not disclose any of your information to outside parties until we have received this form.

I am a parent or caregiver of a student with a disability. Where can I find more information about my student’s accommodations?

Parents and caregivers will only have access to their student’s educational information if the student grants permission by submitting a Release of Information form, including information from Accessibility Services (AS). All school records maintained by a post-secondary institution belong to the student, even if they are under the age of 18.

Are there other resources or departments on campus to help me succeed?

Yes. Accessibility Services (AS) offers several programs and workshops for students registered with AS. Outside of AS, there are resources available to help you with both academic and student life. Explore all of the resources available to you on our Resources page.

Headshot of Wilson the Wolverine

Questions? Ask Wilson