Frequently Asked Questions

The Academic Scheduling office works primarily with Department Chairs and their authorized staff to create semester schedules.  From creating new sections and assigning classrooms, to coordinating supplemental instruction and finals week, we provide the resources, tools, and solutions.  As a separation of duties, we do not schedule special events or assist students with registration.

1. How do I add a new course section?

CourseLeaf CLSS (Section Scheduler) -

  • Use CLSS to add new sections of an active course.
  • Requires training and software access.  Available to department chairs and authorized schedulers only.
  • Beginning Summer 2020, all scheduling requests will be submitted in CLSS.

2. How do I change / delete an existing course section?

CourseLeaf CLSS (Section Scheduler) -

  • Use CLSS to modify, cancel, or delete course sections.
  • Requires training and software access. Available to department chairs and authorized schedulers only.
  • Beginning Summer 2020, all scheduling requests will be submitted in CLSS.

Occasionally, a section cannot be edited due to a system lock (e.g.,"This section has features that cannot be edited in this interface. Changes to this section will need to be made directly in Banner."). When this occurs, email the information (including a screen shot) to To avoid any confusion or unnecessary delays, always include the following information:

  • semester code
        (we're actively processing 4+ semesters at any given time -- be specific!)
  • CRN
  • subject code
  • course number
  • section number
  • action requested

Note: Requests can only be processed when submitted by an authorized scheduler or Department Chair. Phone requests cannot be processed.

3. When is a class section Deleted vs Cancelled?

"Delete" and "Cancel" are terms often used in the same context, but they represent different actions in CLSS and Banner.


  • Sections can be deleted prior to Student registration opening.
  • The section is permanently removed from CLSS and Banner and cannot be retrieved.
  • The section will not carry to the next like semester (i.e., Spring 2020 to Spring 2021).


  • Sections can be canceled before, and during, student registration.
  • The section remains in CLSS and Banner and can be re-activated during the same semester, if needed.
  • Subsequent reports / online views reflect a canceled section with "C" in the "Status" column, and it will be shaded.
  • If the section is not re-activated prior to "rolling" (copying) the semester data, it will not carry to the next like semester.

4. What is Prime Time?

Course sections that start between 0800 - 1400 are considered "prime time". Avoiding 0800 - 1400 start times for net adds, day/time changes, or supplemental instruction will greatly increase your chances of securing a classroom assignment.

Some course sections receive the lowest priority for room scheduling, including:
  • prime time sections that represent a net add for your department (following general room scheduling), and
  • sections that inefficiently (i.e., non-standard) use general classrooms (even if they have received rooms in the past). This applies to all pre-scheduled and generally scheduled class sections.

5. What are Standard Meeting Patterns?

Standard meeting patterns (aka 'start times') were created in order to maximize UVU's space utilization, and to help students create effective schedules for completion. Departments must schedule according to these standards.  See Standard Meeting Patterns for an approved list (by semester / block and contact hour).

The Academic Scheduling Committee (ASC) has worked to provide updated standard solutions. All academic departments are expected to follow the published patterns.

6. How can Student Registration be restricted?

Did you know the maximum enrollment limit for course sections must reflect your actual enrollment estimate?

How can enrollment be restricted or controlled?
Banner's "department approval" feature ("DE" code) is used to control student registration and can be added or removed at any time (before late registration begins).  Students will see a "Department Approval Required" message when attempting to register.  The student must obtain department approval before an Advisor can assist with registration.

Can I hide a section from student view?
Yes; sections can be made hidden or viewable at any time.  However, by hiding a section after general room scheduling, you are forfeiting the room assignment.

7. What is Waitlisting?

The waitlist feature provides students the option to "get in line" for a space in a class that is already full.  Students can select the waitlist while registering for classes.  For details, refer to Registration's Waitlist Information page.

  The Waitlist Maximum Enrollment limit should match the Section Maximum Enrollment limit (as approved by Academic Affairs Council, Dec 2014).  Course sections with a maximum enrollment greater than 100 should use "50" as the maximum waitlist number.

8. What defines a Hybrid section?

Using a Hybrid schedule type means the section is taught both in person (in a classroom) and via online technology. The technology-delivered components include teaching and learning activities and reduce the time traditionally spent in the face-to-face class.  For more information, see Schedule Type Codes

The Office of Teaching and Learning offers dedicated support for the design, redesign, and continuous development of courses and full programs, regardless of the mode of delivery. For more information, see Course Design

Note:  Courses requesting a hybrid delivery should be certified by OTL first.

If you are interested in blending your face-to-face course with online components, contact your OTL instructional designer or

9. What are Part of Term Codes?

UVU Conventional Use

Part of term codes are created each semester to capture unique start/end semester dates.  Each code is set up with specific deadlines, including registration, add/drop/withdrawal dates, tuition/fee assessment, late registration, etc.  For more information, see Part of Term Codes.

  • "INT" - Internships (and courses with a "Co-op" designation) are created using part of term code “INT”, which:
    • Mirrors full semester dates;
    • Is subject to the same deadlines as full semester dates;
    • Exempts late registration fees for students; and
    • Gives departments the flexibility to start internships at any time during a semester.

Students can register after the wait list period ends, but are still subject to the Late Registration process (exempting fees and Dean's approval).

  • "Z__" - Special part of term codes are created only as needed for unique programs, and:
    • Should be requested before registration begins for the required semester, and before requesting the new section;
    • Do not roll (copy) to the next like semester;
    • Should not be added less than 3 weeks prior to the start date to allow for student registration;
    • May be subject to shortened add/drop/withdrawal dates; and
    • Cannot be adjusted once they are applied to a section.

To request a "Z" part of term code, email the Academic Scheduling office with the exact start/end dates and a justification for the request.

10. What is a Net Add?

Any new course section that is requesting a prime time slot (following general room scheduling). Be aware that Net Adds are given the lowest priority in the room scheduling process and are subject to availability.

11. How do I add or change a Course or Lab Fee?

Course and Lab fees can be requested in order to cover specific course costs. Review UVU's Lab & Course Fees policy (#607) which includes information for:

  • Description and Use
  • Account Balances
  • Fee Disclosure

Fee accounts should be reviewed with your Financial Manager regularly for accuracy and potential adjustments (i.e., add, delete, increase, decrease, code changes, etc.).

To be considered by the Course Fee Review Committee for approval, review the requirements, then submit your request(s) to the Academic Affairs office using the designated form.

The Committee meets annually (in January) to review requests. An academic department can submit requests at any time, but must do so before January 1st for application to the following academic year. Any requests submitted without sufficient documentation, appropriate calculations, or missing signatures will not be considered by the Committee.

Course and Lab Fees cannot be adjusted through the curriculum process in CourseLeaf CIM!

12. What is 3rd Week Cleanup?

Census dates are applied to every section and reflect when data is captured for state reporting.  Prior to the third week of a new semester, several cleanup procedures need to take place, including (but not limited to):

  • Instructor Verification review -- To ensure appropriate workload and compensation, all staff assignments should be completed.
  • Low enrolled course sections -- As UVU continues to grow, an increased number of new sections and room changes are requested. Academic Affairs reviews scheduled rooms vs maximum/actual enrollments at various times each semester.  They see a large number of active sections where 0-5 students are enrolled in classrooms that can accommodate 30+ students. Consider:
    • canceling these sections to free up valuable space for others, or
    • change the section(s) to an "individualized" delivery, thereby eliminating the day/time details and room assignment.

    These are not automatic solutions.  The cancellation or change must be requested by the department chair using CourseLeaf CLSS.

13. How do I schedule supplemental instruction time?

Requests for instructor-led supplemental instruction time directly related to an academic course section (i.e., study/review sessions, tutoring, make-up test, etc.) should be submitted via email to the Academic Scheduling office for processing. Please note:

  • Academic Scheduling does not currently use 25Live for supplemental time requests. If you submit a request in 25Live, it will be declined.
  • Requests can only be accepted from the academic department chair or an authorized scheduler for that department.
  • Requests should follow the published standard meeting patterns, and should not cross over multiple patterns.
  • Requests should be made a minimum of 5 business days in advance of the event date.
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, each request shall include the following information:

    • semester
    • CRN
    • subject
    • course
    • section
    • date and time
    • expected attendance
    • preferred building
    • justification / purpose

  • Space is not confirmed until you receive an email confirmation from the Academic Scheduling office.
  • Requests for Finals Preparation Day and during Finals Week cannot be accommodated.
  • Special events are scheduled throughout the year, regardless of UVU's breaks and holidays. Some events require academic space and may not be visible to staff in 25Live. Always request space needs through the appropriate scheduling office. An official confirmation goes a long way in avoiding confusion and possible eviction.
  • ALL special events, department meetings, club events, etc., must be requested in 25Live and scheduled by the Event Services office.

14. What is Cross Listing?

Curriculum cross-listing provides a way for courses to be shared by multiple departments, and provides a degree of visibility (via the subject code) in a student's transcript.

All curriculum cross-listed courses must use the same course number, title, description, credit ratio, pre-requisites, CLOs, and course-work requirements. In addition, the schedule type, instructional method, meeting pattern, building/room assignment and instructor(s) % of responsibility must match at the section level. Sections must also be tied together via a cross-list Group ID number in Banner.


  • USHE Policy R470 (section 5.2) specifically states: 5.2. Lower-Division Courses (1000-2999): These courses are for students beginning in the study of a discipline. Lower-division courses offer breadth, foundation, general education, preparation for employment, or preparation for continued study and may serve as prerequisites for upper-division courses. Within the same institution, a lower-division course may not be cross listed with an upper-division course.
  • If your department is the scheduling authority, YOU are responsible for requesting and maintaining accurate records of the approved cross-listed course sections AND informing the partner department(s) when scheduling changes are necessary. Any change to one section must be reflected on all sections with the same "Group ID" number.
  • UVU does not allow the "double-booking" of sections for any reason.  This is due in part to workload reporting and room utilization reporting.
  • For more information, refer to CourseLeaf CIM. You may also contact your Financial Manager or college curriculum chair.

15. How are cross-listed Maximum Enrollments determined?

The “Cross-List Maximum Enrollment” number drives when all sections in a group will close, and supersedes the individual section maximum enrollment numbers.

  • The maximum enrollment number must reflect the total of all sections in order for Faculty Workload to calculate properly.  A "blanket" number (i.e., 100, 230, 999, etc.) is not allowed as the group maximum for any grouping, including LI Video and Online. 
  • Review your schedule in CourseLeaf CLSS to verify your section is grouped correctly.

16. How do I activate an Instructor (contract or adjunct) or an Instructional Assistant?

Following the hiring process, Human Resources will create an instructor (contract or adjunct) UVID in Banner. They will also create a UVID for paid Instructional Assistant positions. In all cases, HR ensures FERPA training is completed, and the appropriate documents are signed.

The Department Chair (or an authorized scheduler) can submit a request for instructor (or assistant) activation. This process is necessary to:

  • Assign the instructor to a specific department,
  • Make the record visible in Banner's Instructor Verification tool,
  • Allow for assignments and related Canvas access, and
  • Give the instructor access to Banner's Faculty tab in myUVU.

Once an individual is listed on a course section in Banner, the information is automatically routed to Canvas. Access to Canvas follows the classifications outlined below*.

Instructor (Contract or Adjunct) "Workload Percentage"

  • Should reflect the amount of responsibility an Instructor has for a course section (CRN).
  • Where multiple instructors exist, the combined assignments must total 100%.
  • Instructors can be assigned by an authorized scheduler of the academic department by using Banner's Instructor Verification tool in myUVU.
  • For more information, refer to Faculty Workload.

Instructional Assistant "Workload Percentage"

  • Instructional Assistants can only be assigned by the Academic Scheduling office when a written request is made by an authorized scheduler of the academic department.
  • For more information, refer to Faculty Workload.
  • Instructional Assistant do NOT have teaching responsibilities.  Instructional Assistants must be:
    1. listed in Banner at "0%" responsibility for each course section they're assisting with, and 
    2. paid as a part-time employee by the academic department.
    3. SRI's will not be sent to students for Instructional Assistant reviews.

Once an individual is listed on a course section in Banner, the information is automatically routed to Canvas. Access to Canvas follows the classifications outlined below.


  • Contract faculty can be activated up to one semester prior to the semester they will begin teaching. This allows access to Canvas prior to the first day of class.
  • Adjunct instructors can be activated for the semester in which they are hired to begin teaching.  This allows access to Canvas and myUVU prior to the first day of class, but the access should only be used for preparation purposes. UVU cannot expect or encourage adjunct instructors to do any work until they’re actually being paid by the university.
  • Instructional Assistants can only be assigned to sections in the current semester.  Their records will be visible as an option in the Instructor Verification tool. For information on access in Canvas, refer to Instructional Assistants in Canvas.

17. What is Faculty Workload?

Faculty workload planning and reporting are critical to the successful management of academic human resources, accurate reporting to university stakeholders of the use of these resources, and facilitating compensation issues. Instructor assignments should be entered on all course sections prior to 3rd week state reporting for each semester.

For more information, refer to Faculty Workload.


  • Grades can only be entered by the primary instructor listed on a course section.
  • Banner’s Instructor Verification tool:
    • Will open when semester data is rolled from the previous like-semester to allow for workload planning; and
    • Will close two weeks prior to a semester’s end date to allow for Student Rating of Instruction ("SRI") processing.

If an instructor assignment change request is submitted after this date for any reason, Academic Scheduling cannot process the request. In order to record grades, faculty members shall submit a Grade Change form to the Registration Office.

18. What is a College/School Staff faculty record?

One “STAFF” faculty record exists for each college/school. This record:

  • Can only be used with the Financial Manager’s written permission (or the written permission of the Dean) for instructional assignments where timecards are required (or other unique situations); and
  • Cannot be used for 100% of a session (each course section must have a “Primary” instructor assigned, which gives them access to grading, class lists, section management, etc.).

The “(School) STAFF” record differs from the “Staff” listing online:

  • “(School) STAFF” indicates the placeholder record is being used, whereas
  • "Staff" simply indicates no faculty record has been assigned to the section.

The creation and use of these records was approved by the Banner SCORE Committee (Fall 2010).

19. How are Room Assignments made?

Once the department schedules have been validated and submitted to Academic Scheduling via CourseLeaf CLSS, general classrooms are automatically assigned to each course section. The room scheduling software (CollegeNet 25Live) considers building preferences associated with each course prefix, section enrollment limits, maximum room capacities, and day/time patterns. It does not consider instructor attributes, hybrid pairings, or program size.

Approximately 75 - 80% of sections are placed within a department's first preference. Five percent cannot be placed within any preference and must be processed manually on a first come-first served basis (subject to room availability as change / cancel requests are submitted and processed).

Note:  Academic Scheduling, Event Services, IT, and a CollegeNet consultant met in Fall 2018 to review UVU's current practices, the use of CollegeNet's S25/R25 products, and options to improve UVU's room-use efficiency and placement.  It is important to note that much of UVU's room-use efficiency depends on standard meeting patterns AND the number of requests for non-standard exceptions.

20. How does the Fire Marshal determine Max Room Capacity vs Max Occupancy?

The State of Utah adopted the International Fire Code and International Building Code. Occupancy limitations are calculated by the type of occupancy as outlined in the code books. As a building is designed, the initial limitations are set when the usage is determined. Numerous factors are taken into account, including (but not limited to): electrical loading, furniture loading, special hazards, exiting, ADA requirements, mechanical loading, etc.

The initial limitations are set at the state level. As usage changes, occupancy and capacity can be re-evaluated. In some cases, the capacity can be increased; while in others, it must be decreased. Academic Scheduling is not authorized to increase the capacity of any space without Fire Marshal review and written approval. Fire Marshal evaluations are extensive and are not taken lightly. For more information, contact UVU's Police Department.

Occupancy vs Capacity

  • The "Maximum Occupancy" limit posted outside large classrooms differs from the "Capacity" ("Max") limit noted on the Master Room List.
    • Maximum Occupancy refers to the International Building Code (IBC) and is based on the square footage of the space and its exit widths. This number assumes that for some events there may be "standing room" only; it includes chairs, ADA areas, and standing room.
    • Maximum Capacity is the maximum number of students who can be registered in a course section as assigned to a specific space.  Over-enrolling a section is not allowed, as it can place UVU at risk for legal complications.

  • Students cannot register for a course section where the maximum capacity has already been reached, although they can be wait-listed.  When a department determines the need to accommodate wait-listed students, they can submit a request for a larger classroom (subject to availability), which will allow for an enrollment increase.
  • Non-UVU controlled spaces maintain their own maximum capacity limits based on IBC as outlined above.  However, their limitations may also be affected by current equipment, a facilitators ability to manage the space, and other location factors.  Enrollment increases must first be coordinated with the local high school or extended site to determine the probability.

Never move tables, chairs or equipment from one room to another! Doing so creates a shortage in the classroom they were taken from, and in many cases, creates a safety hazard in the classroom where they were placed.

For more information, see: Utah's Public Safety laws and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

21. What is Pre-Scheduling Authority?

Pre-scheduling authority (aka “Priority Scheduling”) is determined by Academic Affairs in conjunction with each Deans office.  Please refer to the Master Room List for current information.

  • The primary purpose of granting classroom pre-scheduling authority to a department is to accommodate faculty (or students) with accessibility needs (refer to UVU policy 152 for more information).
  • Pre-scheduling is allowed in order to accommodate specific laboratory or equipment needs.
  • Pre-scheduling authority is not granted based on an Instructor's tenure, office location, or room preferences.
  • All pre-scheduling must adhere to the published standard meeting patterns.
  • Room utilization should be no less than 75% of maximum capacity.

22. What is a Classroom Audit?

Facilities, in cooperation with Media Services, regularly conducts a campus-wide audit of academic classrooms, computer and specialty labs, conference rooms, fitness/dance rooms, and concourses. All accommodations are validated against UVU's inventory database and scheduling software, including: maximum student capacity, furniture type, room configuration, media equipment, lab equipment, fire exits, windows, etc. Every effort is made to avoid classes in session. Your cooperation and understanding is appreciated.

23. What is the Final Exam schedule?

UVU policy (601 Classroom Management) requires faculty members to give a final examination/assessment that takes place during exam week.  Refer to the Final Exam Schedule to calculate your final exam day(s) and time(s).

  • Final exams for FULL semester classes are not to be changed from the published schedule for any reason.  Doing so creates conflicts for student schedules and for space assignments.
  • Finals for BLOCK classes are held the last day of class (for 2nd block, this is the last meet day prior to Finals Week).
  • Each class is allowed a one-hour and fifty minute block of time for finals. This block is assigned based on the combination of regular meeting days and times. In order for this room scheduling method to work effectively, many classes will "shift" from their regular day and time or location.
  • If a class regularly starts later than 50 minutes after the hour (i.e. 7:55am), then the instructions for the next class start time should be followed (i.e. 8am - 8:50am).
  • Students with more than three exams on one day may request a rescheduling of the fourth exam.  Contact your Instructor to make this arrangement.
  • If your final exam is administered through the testing center, the final exam schedule does not apply. Please see Testing Services for more information.

24. What is 'Flex Delivery for Social Distancing?

Social distancing (students are typically spaced 6' apart) isn't always possible in an assigned classroom.  "Flex delivery" can allow students to rotate between being in the classroom and participating via live stream from home (or other location).

When the actual enrollment of a class exceeds 40% of a room’s max capacity, and a larger classroom is NOT available, instructors should practice “flex delivery”.  This means rotating which students attend in person the first day (or week), and via live stream the next day (or week). One example is by a student’s birth date (even/odd days).

Note:  "Live Capture" is available only in technology capable spaces (which must be appropriately scheduled for activation).