Frequently Asked Questions

Help I received a....

Help! I received a...

Service of a lawsuit

The only authorized agent for service of a summons and complaint against Utah Valley University is the President of the University. No one else should accept service on behalf of UVU.

subpoena or summons

You should notify the Office of General Counsel immediately (preferably the same day) and provide a copy of the subpoena or summons. Courts impose strict and often very tight deadlines for responding to subpoenas. Please do not accept service of the subpoena or summons before contacting the Office of General Counsel. You should not accept a subpoena or summons that is addressed to the university, department, or another individual, unless that individual or department has specifically authorized you to accept service.

The Office of General Counsel can assist you in determining who can accept service of the document, whether the proposed service is valid, and whether the subpoena is otherwise lawful. The Office of General Counsel will work in partnership with you to ensure that all related laws are complied with and that you understand your obligations under the subpoena.


If you have been named individually in a lawsuit as a defendant, you may accept service on your own behalf. If such a lawsuit involves UVU in any way (such as if the University is also named as a defendant or you are being sued individually for actions you took in the course and scope of your employment with UVU), please transmit a copy of the document(s) to the Office of General Counsel immediately.

to whom must notices of claim to uvu be sent?

Utah law requires any person who has a claim against the University or against its employees for an act or omission occurring during the performance of the employee's duties, within the scope of employment, or under color of authority, to file a written notice of claim before commencing an action. Because the University is a state entity, all notices of claim must be delivered to the Utah Attorney General's Office, not the Office of General Counsel or the University. Please direct all notices of claim to:

Office of the Attorney General
350 North State Street, Suite 230
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114
Tel: (801) 538-9600
Fax: (801) 538-1121

If you are a UVU employee and someone has sent a Notice of Claim against UVU to you, please forward the Notice to the Office of General Counsel immediately. 

communication from a federal or state agency

A government agency may contact UVU personnel for various reasons. For example, the agency may need to audit financial aid awards, investigate research misconduct allegations, or investigate cybersecurity matters that do not even involve UVU personnel. Requests for UVU information may also come in many forms, including subpoenas, search warrants, or requests for interviews. It is the role of Office of General Counsel to determine the validity and scope of information requests and to assist in determining the appropriate method of response to investigations that is least disruptive of business operations.

If a government agency requests UVU information from you, or you otherwise become aware of a government investigation involving UVU, you should immediately contact the Office of General Counsel. This does not apply to persons who initiated a complaint that is the subject of the government investigation. Below are suggested responses to government requests for UVU information:

  • Be polite and courteous, and advise the government agent that UVU will generally cooperate with all government investigations, after consultation with the Office of General Counsel
  • Request identification and/or a business card from the agent requesting the information, or write down the agent’s name, title, agency, and contact information.
  • Request to make a copy of documents relied upon for information demands: search warrants, subpoenas, other court orders, etc.
  • Advise the agent that you will be pleased to assist after contacting the Office of General Counsel
  • Contact the Office of General Counsel as soon as possible. In some cases, UVU may need to make back-up copies of information before allowing computers, files, or other documents to be removed.
  • Make a note of everything you provided to the requesting agent with the time, date, and the agent’s full contact information.

ReQuest for records

The Government Records Access and Management Act (GRAMA) is Utah's open records law and the state equivalent of the federal Freedom of Information Act, also known as FOIA. Through GRAMA, the public may request access to certain physical or electronic records maintained by the University. 

University records are presumed to be "public" unless the University determines the records can be classified under GRAMA as "private," "protected," or "controlled.”                                                                                                           

Utah Valley University’s GRAMA Officer responds to requests from members of the public for university records. UVU’s GRAMA website offers information on how to make a public records request, related fees, GRAMA resources, forms and contact information for our GRAMA Officer. 

Questions about Representation

Questions about Representation


Faculty, staff, and students may not hire outside attorneys to represent or provide services to the University. Only the Office of General Counsel (OGC), working with the Utah Office of the Attorney General, may retain outside counsel. If you have questions about hiring counsel, please contact the OGC.

If i am sued as a UVU employee or volunteer, is there insurance to cover me?

Utah State Risk Management (State Risk) defends and indemnifies University employees and volunteers for conduct that is within the course and scope of University employment or volunteer duties. The Attorney General's Office defends employment claims, personal injury claims, and certain other claims. The Office of General Counsel typically acts as an internal Utah Valley University liaison in cases handled by the Attorney General's Office.

whom does ogc represent?

The Office of General Counsel’s (OGC) client is Utah Valley University, and the OGC provides legal services and advice regarding the University’s legal matters to University administrators responsible for those matters. The OGC does not provide legal advice and services for personal matters.

Where can I ...

Where can I...

Get information about using one of the UVU’s marks/logos?

All logo use must follow the specifications in the University Style Guide. Only vendors who are licensed with Leerfield and who abide by the set guide standards may use the UVU logos and name. Logos are available for download below. Official University marks should only be printed in the official green (Pantone 7483), black or reversed to white.

For additional guidelines consistent with the Utah Valley University Style Guide and licensing requirements, please visit our Marketing website.

Find information about UVU's insurance?

The Certificate of Insurance is proof that UVU has sufficient insurance, provided to a requesting entity. The entity is not part of UVU, and may be required by the entity in order to engage with UVU. The Certificate of Insurance is produced by the State of Utah Risk Management Office. This form is requested through the UVU Risk Management Office.

For additional information on insurance-related questions and how to obtain copies of the certificate of insurance, please visit the Office of Risk Management Website.

Reporting Obligations

How do I Report...?

Sexual Misconduct

What is Sexual Misconduct?

  • Sexual misconduct includes but is not limited to: sexual discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, human trafficking, and stalking, etc.

How do I report Sexual Misconduct?

  • Faculty, staff, or students who have experienced sexual misconduct are encouraged to submit a report to the Title IX Coordinator, who is charged with further investigating such incidents.
  • University employees (including student-employees) have an obligation to report such incidents of sexual misconduct within 24 hours of becoming aware.
  • Anonymous complaints are accepted via EthicsPoint, a third party vendor; however, such anonymity limits the University’s ability to investigate and respond.

For further questions, contact the Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Office by visiting their website or calling, (801) 863-5704

To whom does this policy apply?

  • Students
  • Staff
  • Faculty
  • Visitors

For more information about defining and how to deal with sexual misconduct and for reporting obligations, please visit the Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Website, the Title IX Sexual Misconduct Page and/or UVU Policy 162, Sexual Misconduct.

discrimination / harassment

What is prohibited discrimination / harassment?

Conduct that is sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive to alter the conditions of employment of an employee or to limit, interfere with, or deny educational benefits or opportunities of a student (UVU Policy #165).

How do I report discrimination / harassment?

  • University community members who believe they have been subjected to protected class discrimination, harassment, or retaliation, or who witness such conduct against other university community members, should promptly report such incidents to the Director of the Office for Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.
  • Supervisors who receive a complaint of any kind of protected class discrimination, harassment, or retaliation, or who otherwise witness or become aware of such conduct, must promptly report such issues within 24 hours of the incident or learning of the incident. (UVU Policy #165, Section 5.4.4)
  • Additionally, anonymous complaints are accepted via EthicsPoint, a third party vendor.

For more information about defining and how to deal with discrimination / harassment and for reporting obligations, please visit the Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Website, the discrimination / harassment Page and UVU Policy 165, Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action.

abuse or neglect of vulnerable adults

Utah law (62A-3-305) mandates any person who has reason to believe that a vulnerable adult is being abused, neglected, or exploited must immediately notify Adult Protective Services or the nearest law enforcement office.

  • Report incidents to the Utah Department of Human Services, Aging and Adult Services division by visiting their website or by calling, (801) 371-7897

For more information about Adult Protective Services, noticing the signs of vulnerable adult abuse/neglect and reporting obligations, please visit the Utah Department of Human Services regarding Aging and Adult Services:

Who are "vulnerable adults”?

Vulnerable adults are defined by state law as an elder adult, or an adult who has a mental or physical impairment which substantially affects that person’s ability to provider personal protection; provide necessities such as food, shelter, clothing, or mental or other health care; obtain services necessary for health, safety or welfare; carry out the activities of daily living; manage the adult’s own financial resources; or comprehend the nature and consequences of remaining in a situation of abuse neglect, or exploitation.

Further resources at UVU - Accessibility Services 

  • Employees who require ADA accommodations please contact the University ADA Coordinator, found on the Faculty / Staff Resources website or by calling (801) 863-5300
  • Students who need accommodations please contact Student Accessibility Services

child abuse

Utah Law (62A-4a-403) requires any person who has reason to believe that a child has been subjected to abuse, neglect or dependency to immediately notify the nearest office of Child and Family Services, a peace officer, or a law enforcement agency. Abuse, neglect, or dependency of a child can be physical, emotional, or sexual.

How do I report child abuse?

  • 24/7 DCFS Child Protection Intake Line: 1-855-323-DCFS (3237)
    • A telephone report is to be made immediately followed by a written report within 48 hours, if requested. Reports to be made immediately.
  • UVU Police or other law enforcement agencies as applicable. Such reports should include the name of the victim and assailant (if known), other identifying information about the victim and assailant, the location of the incident, and the nature of the incident (UVU Policy #704).
    • From a campus telephone: 5555 (UVU Police)
    • From a cell phone: (801) 863-5555 (UVU Police
    • From any phone: 911 (police emergency number
  • Anonymous Reporting
    • A third-party telephone hotline and website have been established to allow anyone to report misconduct anonymously. Open during regular business hours at (877) 228-5401
    • Anonymous online reports are acceptable via EthicsPoint, the University’s 24-hour hotline provider, which can be found online

ncaa violations

Utah Valley University is committed to complete compliance with NCAA and conference rules without exception. Violations may consist of but are not limited to: sports wagering activities, prohibited drug and alcohol use, academic misconduct, unethical behavior and dishonesty etc. (UVU Athletics Compliance Manual).

How to report an NCAA violation:

  • All UVU student-athletes, coaches, staff members, and boosters have a duty to report suspected and actual NCAA rules violations to the Compliance Office in a timely manner (UVU Compliance for Athletics Website).
  • Confidentially report a potential violation by contacting the Compliance Office by calling (801) 863-5484 or submitting an email to

Further Questions?

Persons with further questions regarding NCAA and/or conference rules should contact an athletic administrator or the Director of Compliance (athletics staff directory) before doing something that may jeopardize a student-athlete’s eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics.

Public Meetings


signature authority

Only the President has complete signature authority for the University, as delegated by the State Board of Regents.

 Additionally, pursuant to UVU Policy #247, Contract Review and Signature Authority, the following positions shall also have signature authority for all contracts arising within the scope and authority of their respective organization within the University:

  • Vice presidents and the Chief Executive Officer of the UVU Foundation;
  • The General Counsel, for contracts relating to legal services or settlements of legal claims;
  • The Director of Procurement and Contract Services, for contracts relating to the acquisition of goods and services;
  • The Director of Sponsored Programs, for contracts relating to sponsored academic projects and grants

President’s Council may delegate signature authority to additional university positions. Procurement and Contract Services shall keep a list of the university positions that have been delegated authority by President’s Council to execute contracts and other written instruments subject to the scope of authority defined for each position.

Positions delegated signature authority by either this policy or President’s Council may delegate temporary signature authority to a position within their respective organization at the University for a period not to exceed one year. Temporary authority is not valid until the delegator submits the delegation in writing to Procurement and Contract Services.

  • Persons in an interim position have the signature authority of that position.
All previous delegations of signature authority are superseded by this policy
Other Questions

Other Questions?

political activity as a public entity

Pursuant to Utah’s Political Activities of a Public Entity Act (PAPEA), as an institution of higher education, Utah Valley University is a public entity and therefore may not make an expenditure from public funds for political purposes or to influence a ballot proposition. (Utah Code 20A-11-1203)

Additionally, a person may not send an email using the email of a public entity:

  • for a political purpose
  • to advocate for or against a ballot proposition; or
  • to solicit a campaign contribution

(Utah Code 20A-11-1205)

 For additional information regarding the PAPEA, please visit Utah Code 20A-11.

whom should i contact about garnishment of wages of a uvu employee?

Wage garnishments should be directed to the following UVU employee:


Corey W. Callahan, AVP

Payroll Manager

BA 112b

MS 184

800 W Univ. Pkwy.

Orem UT

To whom should subpoenas to uvu be sent?

Subpoenas  for any UVU departments, divisions, and operational units should be served on the Office of General Counsel 800 W University Parkway BA 211 Orem, UT 84058.