Why do I have a hold?

There are many reasons why you may have a hold on your account, and they don’t all come from Academic Standards. Academic Standards can put holds on your account according to your Academic Standing. The hold you have will determine how you will get it removed. See our “Removing Holds” page for more info.

What is "Academic Standing"?

Academic Standing is your academic performance resulting from your grade point average (GPA). It is related to UVU Policy 521: Undergraduate Academic Standards, which includes the requirement to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher to remain in Good Standing.

See our "Academic Standings & Holds" page for details.

How do I remove an Academic Standards Hold?

The hold you have will determine how you will get it removed. For Academic Warning (AW), Academic Notice (AN), or Continued Notice (CN), see the Academic Standings & Holds page. For Academic Suspension (AS) or Academic Dismissal (AD), please see the Petitions page.

Do I have to complete the digital workbook before I meet with my academic advisor or Standards counselor?

YES! The digital workbook provides valuable information for your advisor or counselor and gives you time to consider why you may be struggling academically. You can access workbooks through the Academic Standings & Holds page.

I've done the Warning Workshop and Quiz but my hold has not been removed.

If this is your first time on Academic Warning, the hold will clear after you finish the quiz.

If you have ever been on Academic Warning at UVU before, even while in concurrent enrollment courses, you must contact your first-year counselor or major advisor to clear your hold after completing the workshop.

Try using a different browser. Sometimes applications like the warning workshop link work better in Safari, Chrome, or Firefox.

It is possible due to technology and application upgrades the link is temporarily unavailable. Wait 24 hours and then try again. If it is still not working please let Academic Standards know: ([email protected])

I had a really good semester, why am I still on Continued Notice, Continued Suspension, or Continued Dismissal?

UVU policy requires a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher to remain in Good Standing. We recognize that you may have met or exceeded the required 2.0 semester GPA, but your cumulative GPA has not yet reached the 2.0 required for Good Standing! 

Is Academic Standing the same thing as Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) through Financial Aid?

Though Financial Aid is also affected by Academic Standing, Satisfactory Academic Progress is a separate function outside of our department. You can learn more about Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) here.

Grade Checks & Calculating GPA

Why do I have to do Grade Checks?

Grade checks are required for students on Continued Notice, Academic Suspension, Continued Suspension, Academic Dismissal, and Continued Dismissal until your cumulative GPA reaches a 2.0 and you move back to Good Standing.

It is our department’s opportunity to connect with you to make sure classes are going well and you have access to the resources you need to be successful through the rest of the semester.

How do I remove a Grade Check hold?

On Continued Notice, you will have a midterm GC - Academic Standards Grade Check hold. On Academic Suspension, Academic Dismissal, Continued Suspension, or Continued Dismissal, you will have monthly GC holds.

To remove the GC hold, you need to submit a grade check to your Academic Standards Counselor/Coach, or discuss grades in your Academic Coaching session. These specifics will be communicated to you by the Standards office and your Academic Coach.

What are UVU's grading & GPA policies?

UVU's point value for letter grades:

A      4.0      C     2.0    
A- 3.7 C- 1.7
B+ 3.3 D+ 1.3
B 3.0 D 1.0
B- 2.7 D- 0.7
C+ 2.3 E 0.0


For additional grading information, please proceed to UVU's Catalog and scroll to "Grading Policies."

How do I calculate my projected GPA? 

Here are a few ways to calculate your projected semester and cumulative GPA:

1) To calculate your GPA digitally. (Note: This GPA calculator is not tied to your student records. The results are not official and are based only on the data that you provide.)

2) To calculate your GPA using Wolverine Track or by hand.

How do I look up my unofficial transcript?

To view your unofficial transcript:

  1. Log into myUVU.
  2. Go to Registration & Academics.
  3. Scroll down to Academic Records.
  4. Select "View" in the My Transcripts section. 
  5. Select "Undergraduate" for your Transcript Level.
  6. Select "Unofficial" for your Transcript Type.

Withdrawals&Course Retakes

What is the difference between an Official Withdrawal (W), an Unofficial Withdrawal (UW), and an E grade?

An Official Withdrawal (W) can only happen during the first part of the semester through the online registration system. Check the student schedule for the Official Withdrawal deadine. If you miss the withdrawal deadline, and in the case of "extenuating circumstances," you will need to file a Late Withdrawal Exception before the end of the semester. W’s do not count toward your GPA.

A “UW” is an Unofficial Withdrawal and is given when you stop attending class for any reason without officially withdrawing from the course. It is counted like a failing grade in your GPA.

An "E" grade is a failing grade.

I have an Unofficial Withdrawal (UW) in a class. How can I remove this?

The UW will remain on your transcript, but you can retake the class in order to replace the grade in your GPA calculation and have it pull into Wolverine Track.

In the case of “extenuating circumstances,” you can petition the Registrar to replace the UW with an RUW through a record adjustment. This will replace the grade in your GPA calculation. Complete and submit a Record Adjustment form. You will need documentation for your claim. 

If I have to repeat a class does the first grade stay on my records?

Yes. Your grades will remain on your transcript and Wolverine Track as a record. However, the most recent grade is the grade used to determine your GPA (even if your most recent repeat is a lower grade). 

The only exception is if the course is an “R” course (e.g., SLSS 100R). These courses are intended to be repeated multiple times for credit, so we cannot replace those grades through retakes.

If I take the same class at another school will it replace my grade?

No. You must retake the same course at UVU in order to have it replaced.

Can I take a similar class and have it replace a poor grade?

No, UVU requires that you retake the exact same course number. If you got an E in Math 1050, you will need to retake Math 1050 to replace the grade. Math 1040 will not replace that grade.

However, you do NOT need to take it from the same teacher or the same format (i.e., you can do an online class as a face-to-face class for your repeat or vice versa).

What happens if I get really sick or for some reason can no longer attend school after the withdrawal deadline has passed?

If you have extenuating circumstances such as a serious illness or a death in the family, you can file a Late Withdrawal Petition before the end of the semester. You will need documentation for your claim.

If your petition is granted, your classes will show up as an Official Withdraw (W), and it will not affect your GPA.


Do I have to meet with Academic Standards every semester?

It is possible that you may be on Continued Notice, Continued Suspension, or Continued Dismissal for multiple semesters, until your cumulative GPA reaches a 2.0 and you move back to Good Standing.

During this time, you are required to maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher and meet with a Standards Counselor to continue to plan for your success. 

How do I check the status of my Suspension or Dismissal Petition?

Make sure you are checking your UVU Outlook account. All official notices regarding your petition will be sent to your official UVU email.

Petitions can take anywhere from four to six weeks to review after the submission deadline.

If you still have questions about your petition, and have not heard anything through your UVU email, contact our department at 801-863-5325 or [email protected] ASAP!

If I'm still having academic challenges, who should I talk to?

You are always welcome to meet with any of the Standards Counselors for help. 

We also partner with Academic Tutoring, the Math Lab, and the Writing Center

Scholarships With No or Low GPA Requirement

There are opportunities for Utah-based or nationwide external scholarship awards without a minimum GPA requirement. Take a look at some of the options in the drop down menu below! 

Utah Dream Scholarships

Many of these scholarships are open to students attending any college or university in Utah. Some require at least a 2.0 GPA.

Live Your Dream - Utah Single Mother Scholarship

Live Your Dream supports single-mother families by providing scholarships for single-mothers who desire to gain an education to better provide for their children.

disABLEDperson, Inc. National Scholarship

Student must be enrolled in a 2 or 4 years accredited college or university in the United States of America. They must be a matriculated student and attending school full-time and U.S. citizen. We will accept students who are not attending school full-time as long as the part-time attendance is due to their disability and not their financial situation (minimum of 6 credits for undergraduate, 6 credits for graduate). Upon winning, the student will prove disability and matriculation through their Disability Student Services department.

John Foy & Associates “Strong Arm” Leukemia Scholarship

A $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to one undergraduate or graduate student who has battled leukemia or whose life has been affected by it.

PinkRose Breast Cancer Scholarship

Eligibility is limited to individuals who are legal residents of the United States of America, under the age of 25 who have lost a parent or legal guardian to breast cancer.

Sunshine Legall Scholarship

This scholarship seeks to give underrepresented students the resources they need to pursue higher education and all of the opportunities that come with it. Any BIPOC high school senior or undergraduate student who has at least a 1.5 GPA may apply for this scholarship.